Official: Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill Are Cop Buddies in '21 Jump Street'
After some speculations, Columbia Pictures finally announces via an official press release that Channing Tatum will indeed star in "21 Jump Street". The "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" hunk takes a lead role alongside Jonah Hill, who has previously confirmed his participation in the movie adaptation of the famous 1980s TV series.
"Jonah helped create a smart and funny vehicle that is tailor-made for him and Channing," said Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures, in a statement. "They are a perfect duo for this film and Phil and Chris have a terrific, accessible take on the material. We love how this movie has come together and are very excited to begin production this spring."
The two will be teaming up on screen in addition to serving as executive producers for the movie, which story will revolve around young cops with youthful appearances who work undercover in high schools and colleges. Hill is also writing the script along with Michael Bacall.
Details about Tatum and Hill's roles in the upcoming action comedy film are not provided yet, but comedian Hill has stated before that he will not appear as Thomas Hanson Jr. who was portrayed by Johnny Depp in the original show. It is not known either whether Depp would be featured in the movie although he has shown interest to make a cameo appearance.
"21 Jump Street" movie will be directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Columbia Pictures has set it for March 16, 2012 release in the U.S. and eyes to start the production in spring 2011.
More 21 Jump Street News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story