'Hobbit' to Be Filmed With EPIC Digital Cameras, Ian McKellen May Be Signing Up
Peter Jackson will team up with RED Digital Cinema to produce "The Hobbit" in 3-D. The company has announced on Sunday, November 28 that the director will use at least 30 of their soon to be released EPIC digital cameras to shoot two parts of "Hobbit" in 3-D.
The successor to RED's industry changing RED ONE, the EPIC is said a smaller, lighter camera that is an order of magnitude more powerful. Jackson has some words about the cameras, saying "I find the picture quality [of RED cameras] appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim and his team have gone even further."
"It is a fantastic tool," he gushes, before detailing further "The Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo."
As "The Hobbit" is close to its principal photography, Ian McKellen who previously threatened to leave the project if it did not happen soon reportedly is on board for the project. While there is still no official confirmation, the actor's official website has updated its "2010's Film" with "The Hobbit", hinting that he is set to reprise his "Lord of the Ring" trilogy role as Gandalf.
"The Hobbit" and "The Hobbit 2" is scheduled to start production in February 2011 in New Zealand. So far, the official cast members include Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, Robert Kazinsky and Graham McTavish.
- Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Separate After 11 Years of Marriage
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?
- 'Big Brother 18': And the First Evicted Houseguest Is...