'Hobbit' to Be Filmed With EPIC Digital Cameras, Ian McKellen May Be Signing Up
Peter Jackson will team up with RED Digital Cinema to produce "The Hobbit" in 3-D. The company has announced on Sunday, November 28 that the director will use at least 30 of their soon to be released EPIC digital cameras to shoot two parts of "Hobbit" in 3-D.
The successor to RED's industry changing RED ONE, the EPIC is said a smaller, lighter camera that is an order of magnitude more powerful. Jackson has some words about the cameras, saying "I find the picture quality [of RED cameras] appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim and his team have gone even further."
"It is a fantastic tool," he gushes, before detailing further "The Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo."
As "The Hobbit" is close to its principal photography, Ian McKellen who previously threatened to leave the project if it did not happen soon reportedly is on board for the project. While there is still no official confirmation, the actor's official website has updated its "2010's Film" with "The Hobbit", hinting that he is set to reprise his "Lord of the Ring" trilogy role as Gandalf.
"The Hobbit" and "The Hobbit 2" is scheduled to start production in February 2011 in New Zealand. So far, the official cast members include Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, Robert Kazinsky and Graham McTavish.
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift