Artist of the Week: The Black Keys
The Black Keys tasted their first No. 1 single with "Tighten Up", the lead offering of their latest studio album "Brothers". The song blends a commanding sound of drumbeat and whistle-laden melody, arousing listeners' curiosity while staying true to the signature stripped sound of Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney.
Coming from the production hands of acclaimed music maker Danger Mouse, "Tighten Up" ruled both Billboard Rock and Alternative Songs Charts. On top of that, its music video won Breakthrough Video at 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, beating Dan Black, Coldplay and Gorillaz.
Aside from getting help from Danger Mouse in "Tighten Up", they were mostly on their own when working on the remaining tracks of "Brothers". They crafted more intensely-focused, deeply-soulful set at the legendary Muscle Shoals studio in Alabama, and dropped it in May this year. It debuted at No. 3 on Billboard Hot 200 with 73,000 copies sold in its opening week, marking the band's highest charting album to date.
Looking back at their first years as record makers and performers, The Black Keys said "Brothers" mirrored their journey to success which has been both subtle and startling. "Dan and I grew up a lot as individuals and musicians prior to making this album. Our relationship was tested in many ways but at the end of the day, we're brothers, and I think these songs reflect that," Carney said.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7