Artist of the Week: The Black Keys
The Black Keys tasted their first No. 1 single with "Tighten Up", the lead offering of their latest studio album "Brothers". The song blends a commanding sound of drumbeat and whistle-laden melody, arousing listeners' curiosity while staying true to the signature stripped sound of Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney.
Coming from the production hands of acclaimed music maker Danger Mouse, "Tighten Up" ruled both Billboard Rock and Alternative Songs Charts. On top of that, its music video won Breakthrough Video at 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, beating Dan Black, Coldplay and Gorillaz.
Aside from getting help from Danger Mouse in "Tighten Up", they were mostly on their own when working on the remaining tracks of "Brothers". They crafted more intensely-focused, deeply-soulful set at the legendary Muscle Shoals studio in Alabama, and dropped it in May this year. It debuted at No. 3 on Billboard Hot 200 with 73,000 copies sold in its opening week, marking the band's highest charting album to date.
Looking back at their first years as record makers and performers, The Black Keys said "Brothers" mirrored their journey to success which has been both subtle and startling. "Dan and I grew up a lot as individuals and musicians prior to making this album. Our relationship was tested in many ways but at the end of the day, we're brothers, and I think these songs reflect that," Carney said.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival