Dark Superhero-Wannabe Comedy 'Super' Gets Release Date
The 2010 Holiday season has just started but IFC Films has set their agenda for 2011. The studio announces on November 25 that they will release "Super" in limited theaters in the U.S. on April 1 next year, or what people know as April Fool's Day.
Also occupying the same slot is Universal Pictures' comedy "Hop". Despite the same release date, the Russell Brand-starring movie and "Super" likely won't create a strong competition since they have different targeted audience. The former is more children friendly while the latter is aimed to attract older moviegoers.
The film that picks up a theme of superhero wannabe follows Rainn Wilson's Frank Darbo who, after left by his wife for a smooth-talking drug dealer, decides to become a superhero with the name of The Crimson Bolt. Sociopathic Libby, portrayed by Ellen Page, joins him as his sidekick, choosing the name of Boltie.
Liv Tyler portrays Frank's wife while Kevin Bacon lands a role of the drug dealer, Jacques. "Scooby-Doo" and "Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" writer James Gunn directs "Super" in addition to writing the script. The low-budget film was picked up by IFC Films at the 35th Annual Toronto International Film Festival, where the movie was premiered and received glowing reviews from critics.
More Super News
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby