Hoping to Remain Free, Wesley Snipes Asks for Bail Extension
Wesley Snipes is requesting a federal judge for a bail extension on Tuesday, November 23, in a bid to stay out of jail, ABC News reported. The "Blade" star hopes to remain free on bail while his lawyers attempt to pursue a second appeal of his three convictions of willful failure to file income tax returns and his three-year prison term.
According to the site, on Wednesday, November 24, U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges ordered prosecutors to respond to Wesley's motion by next Tuesday, December 1. In the motion, Wesley's lawyers stated, "Mr. Snipes has honored the court's trust before, during trial, as well as pending sentencing and appeal."
"There is no reason to change the court's judgment now. His ongoing and successful projects in the movie industry further ensure he would not consider fleeing," the lawyers went on. "Mr. Snipes has made several substantial payments. His tax filings are now current and he has sought from third parties and turned over to IRS all financial information the agency requested from past years."
Wesley Snipes has spent two years fighting a guilty verdict on tax evasion charges. However, his bail was revoked last week by William Terrell and he was ordered to turn himself over to authorities to begin the three-year jail sentence because he had lost his appeal to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeal and a battle for a retrial.
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic
- Selena Gomez Spotted Lip Syncing to The Weeknd's Songs at His Show in Toronto
- Orlando Bloom's Naked Photo Is Spread All Over Hollywood
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala