'Deathly Hallows: Part I' Tops Box Office, Marks the Franchise Best Bow
Warner Bros. Pictures once again has had their glorious moment at North American Box Office with beloved franchise "Harry Potter". The latest film of the series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I", debuts atop the chart with $125 million.
The number marks the franchise best bow, surpassing the previous record holder "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" which raked in $102.7 million on its opening weekend in 2005. "Deathly Hallows: Part I" is also the sixth highest opening weekend ever following "The Dark Knight", "Spider-Man 3", "The Twilight Saga's New Moon", "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" and "Iron Man 2".
"One of the greatest accomplishments here is that we have been able to age the franchise," says Warners domestic distribution president Dan Fellman on the movie. "We have been able to keep our fan base as the characters have aged and the movies have become darker. And the three main actors have become really terrific, adult actors."
"Megamind", which ruled the chart for two straight weeks, is now pushed aside to the second place with $16 million revenue. "Unstoppable" still follows the animation on the the third place, adding $13 million cume.
"Due Date" also drops one place from the third to the fourth with $8.9 million gross. Meanwhile, another newcomer "The Next Three Days" has a not-so-strong debut, entering box office at number five with $6.4 million despite the fact that it has Russell Crowe starring as the lead character.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for November 19-21:
- "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" - $125 million
- "Megamind" - $16 million
- "Unstoppable" - $13 million
- "Due Date" - $8.9 million
- "The Next Three Days" - $6.4 million
- "Morning Glory" - $5.2 million
- "Skyline" - $3.6 million
- "Red" - $2.5 million
- "For Colored Girls" - $2.3 million
- "Fair Game" - $1.4 million
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video