FOX Midseason Schedule: 'American Idol' and 'Fringe' Moved
FOX announced its mid-season schedule where a major change has been made. Instead of occupying the usual Tuesday and Wednesday slot, "American Idol" is shifted to Wednesday and Thursday because the competition has moved and "Glee" no longer needs a protection.
"We have been looking at Thursday for a long time," the network's reality chief Mike Darnell said. "It is a tough nut to crack, and if you want to crack it, you have to make a big move there." FOX was first hesitant with the move to Thursday because CBS' "Survivor" was there. But since the reality show is now on Wednesdays, "Idol" is gaining a little room for rating. "Now we can own Thursday," Darnell added.
Another contributing factor is the fact that "Glee" has become such a juggernaut for FOX that it no longer needs the lead-in from "Idol". " 'Glee' doesn't need the protection, and we also have the making of comedy block with 'Raising Hope' taking root on Tuesdays," FOX's entertainment president Kevin Reilly said.
Another move is made for "Fringe". The sci-fi series is now placed on Fridays where usually a scripted series is not going to thrive. However, Reilly is confident with the show's performance, especially when it's paired with solid performer "Kitchen Nightmares". He reasoned, "Fringe has a very particular, loyal audience."
Meanwhile, "Running Wilde" and "The Good Guys" are no longer in the picture although they are not officially canceled. Reilly confirmed that these two will not be given more episodes order. To fill the void, FOX is ready to premiere "The Chicago Code", "Breaking In", "Million Dollar Dollar Drop" and "Mixed Signals".
FOX 2011 Midseason Schedule:
Monday, Jan. 10:
- 8-10 p.m. "Lie to Me" (Two-Hour Episode)
- 8 p.m. "Glee" (repeats)
- 9 p.m. "Million Dollar Money Drop" (reality show)
- 8 p.m. "Human Target"
- 8 p.m. "American Idol" (two-hour season premiere, part one)
- 8 p.m. "American Idol" (two-hour episodes)
- 8 p.m. "Million Dollar Money Drop"
- 9 p.m. "Bones"
- 7 p.m. "The Simpsons"
- 7 p.m. "American Dad!"
- 8 p.m. "The Simpsons"
- 8 p.m "Bob's Burgers"
- 9 p.m "Family Guy"
- 9 p.m. "The Cleveland Show"
- NFC Pro Bowl (Live)
- 6:00 p.m. Super Bowl XLV (Live)
- 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 PT "Glee"
More FOX News
- Kim Kardashian Bares Serious Underboobs While Going Topless in This Raunchy Selfie
- Metallica, The Strokes, The Weeknd to Headline 2017 Lollapalooza South America
- Justin Bieber Is Reportedly Pursuing Pamela Anderson
- 'Fast and Furious' Helmer Justin Lin to Direct 'Hot Wheels' Movie
- Miley Cyrus Fills In for Sick Ellen DeGeneres. Watch Sneak Peek of Her Guest-Hosting Stint
- Kelly Clarkson and Chance The Rapper to Perform at White House's Christmas Tree Lighting
- Kim Kardashian Files Complaint Against Vitalii Sediuk Over Attempted Ambush
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Debuts Burgeoning Bump While Shopping for Baby in London