Michael Jackson's First Official Single 'Hold My Hand' Ft. Akon Debuted
Michael Jackson's song "Hold My Hand", which was recorded in 2007 but leaked in its unfinished state a year later, has finally been unleashed in its final version. A duet with Akon, it is listed in Michael's upcoming self-titled album and serves as the first official single.
Michael croons, "This life don't last forever/ So tell me what we're waiting for/ We better off being together/ Being miserable alone." Akon then takes over in the next lines, "Cause I been there before and you've been there before, but together we can be alright/ Cause when it gets dark and when it gets cold, we hold each other till we see the sunlight."
"The world was not ready to hear 'Hold My Hand' when it leaked a couple years ago," Akon said. "We were devastated about it. But its time has definitely come; now in its final state, it has become an incredible, beautiful, anthemic song. I'm so proud to have had the chance to work with Michael, one of my all time idols."
"Michael" is going to be released across United States on December 14. Beside featuring Akon, the posthumous album also lines up 50 Cent and Lenny Kravitz as featured guests. When the album was first announced, a spokesperson for Michael's family accused Sony Music of disrespecting the late King of Pop by dropping "unfinished and incomplete tracks that Michael said over and over many times he never wanted released."
To avoid the same controversy, the record company has now convinced fans that "a handwritten note from Michael belonging to his Estate indicated his desire that 'Hold My Hand' be the first single on his next project." Supporting that statement, Michael's nephew Taj Jackson said as quoted by CNN, "He was so proud of it. I'll never forget that smile he had on his face as the song played through the speakers [in his room] at the Palms Hotel in Vegas."
More Michael Jackson News
- Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom Reach Divorce Settlement
- Justin Bieber Throws His Mic and Walks Off Stage After Getting Booed in Manchester
- DJ Khaled and Fiancee Nicole Tuck Welcome Baby Boy
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Solange Knowles Set to Make 'SNL' Debut
- Britney Spears Almost Flashes Her Breasts During On-Stage Wardrobe Malfunction
- 'Jessica Jones' Season 2 Will Be Directed Entirely by Women
- Taylor Swift Sings Calvin Harris' Song During Her Return to Stage at Formula 1 Concert
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms