Artist of the Week: Willow Smith
Young and talented, Willow Smith confidently expanded her career from acting to singing. Barely 10 years old, she stepped up to the music game with her sassy yet kiddie friendly dance track "Whip My Hair" and wowed music fans and critics with quality of music which is far above an artist of her age.
Despite being a daughter of celebrity couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow needed no references from her famous parents to seal a deal with Jay-Z's Roc Nation. Her music was heard by Jigga and caught his attention before he was informed that it was recorded by Will and Jada's then 9-year-old child.
Willow didn't need her celebrity family to be in her first music video either. Staying true to her age, she kills it and shines with some fearless blings and fashion styles, high-energy dance moves and intense hair whipping. It's all about the celebration of freedom, energy and expression, and she takes it right to the schoolyard.
Making its way out in late October this year, the song itself peaked at No. 11 on Billboard Hot 100. This impressive achievement even surpassed fellow young singer Justin Bieber who could only reach No. 17 on the U.S. singles chart with his debut single "One Time".
Based on her music style, many people compare her to Rihanna and have no doubts she will follow the footsteps of the Bajan songstress, especially after she proved herself to be chart breaker. Jigga, meanwhile, compares her to Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder, pointing out that they both entered music industry in such young age.
- Louis Tomlinson Files for Joint Custody of His Son With Briana Jungwirth
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Nick Young Baby Rumor, Reveals She Caught Him Cheating on Camera
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party