Artist of the Week: Willow Smith
Young and talented, Willow Smith confidently expanded her career from acting to singing. Barely 10 years old, she stepped up to the music game with her sassy yet kiddie friendly dance track "Whip My Hair" and wowed music fans and critics with quality of music which is far above an artist of her age.
Despite being a daughter of celebrity couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow needed no references from her famous parents to seal a deal with Jay-Z's Roc Nation. Her music was heard by Jigga and caught his attention before he was informed that it was recorded by Will and Jada's then 9-year-old child.
Willow didn't need her celebrity family to be in her first music video either. Staying true to her age, she kills it and shines with some fearless blings and fashion styles, high-energy dance moves and intense hair whipping. It's all about the celebration of freedom, energy and expression, and she takes it right to the schoolyard.
Making its way out in late October this year, the song itself peaked at No. 11 on Billboard Hot 100. This impressive achievement even surpassed fellow young singer Justin Bieber who could only reach No. 17 on the U.S. singles chart with his debut single "One Time".
Based on her music style, many people compare her to Rihanna and have no doubts she will follow the footsteps of the Bajan songstress, especially after she proved herself to be chart breaker. Jigga, meanwhile, compares her to Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder, pointing out that they both entered music industry in such young age.
- Seth Rogen's R-Rated Animated Comedy 'Sausage Party' to Join Oscar Race
- Rihanna Regrets Skipping Drake's Party and Letting Taylor Swift Steal the Spotlight
- Olivia Wilde Shares Breastfeeding Photo, Finds New Drinking Buddy in Newborn Daughter
- Twitter Rips Drake for Mocking Kid Cudi's Mental Illness in New Diss Track
- Awkward! Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Ex John Mayer Attend Drake's Birthday Party
- Is Kendall Jenner Dating Anwar Hadid?
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery