Kanye West Was Coached for 'Today' Interview
Although Kanye West's interview with Matt Lauer earlier this week turned sour, the rapper was reportedly coached before the sit down. Los Angeles Times reported that West hired the public relations firm Rubenstein Communications to prep him on his response to former U.S President George W. Bush.
According to the site, West's team contacted the "Today" show on Monday, November 8, seeking to arrange interview to respond to Bush's NBC interview during which the former President took aim at West's comment after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 against him. In the interview, Bush called West's racial allegation against him "one of the most disgusting moments" of his presidency.
And to make sure that his comment about Bush was communicated effectively, West turned to Rubenstein, a firm that represents numerous celebrity. However, after West's personal handlers and Rubenstein watched Bush's prime-time interview on Monday, they decided to cancel the "Today" chat that night because the former President did not say much that warranted a response from West.
Yet, for unknown reason, West's team contacted "Today" show on the next morning, Tuesday, November 9 and told them that the interview was back on without the knowledge of the Rubenstein coach, who according to the site had to hustle to NBC's studios at 30 Rockefeller Plaza to help his client and his team. The site further mentioned that following West's rift with "Today", he and the firm are no longer working together.
During the interview, West lashed out to host Lauer over the practice of showing footage of Bush's interview as well as a clip of him interrupting Taylor Swift at the 2009 Video Music Awards during interviews while he was trying to respond to Lauer's questions. The rapper has since canceled his performance at TV show on November 26.
More Kanye West News
- Taylor Swift Makes Donation to Hospital That Saved Her Godson
- Daniel Radcliffe Eyed for 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami
- 'Stranger Things' Officially Renewed for Season 2 - Watch the Teaser Here!
- Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban Lead Nominations for 2016 CMA Awards