Kanye West Was Coached for 'Today' Interview
Although Kanye West's interview with Matt Lauer earlier this week turned sour, the rapper was reportedly coached before the sit down. Los Angeles Times reported that West hired the public relations firm Rubenstein Communications to prep him on his response to former U.S President George W. Bush.
According to the site, West's team contacted the "Today" show on Monday, November 8, seeking to arrange interview to respond to Bush's NBC interview during which the former President took aim at West's comment after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 against him. In the interview, Bush called West's racial allegation against him "one of the most disgusting moments" of his presidency.
And to make sure that his comment about Bush was communicated effectively, West turned to Rubenstein, a firm that represents numerous celebrity. However, after West's personal handlers and Rubenstein watched Bush's prime-time interview on Monday, they decided to cancel the "Today" chat that night because the former President did not say much that warranted a response from West.
Yet, for unknown reason, West's team contacted "Today" show on the next morning, Tuesday, November 9 and told them that the interview was back on without the knowledge of the Rubenstein coach, who according to the site had to hustle to NBC's studios at 30 Rockefeller Plaza to help his client and his team. The site further mentioned that following West's rift with "Today", he and the firm are no longer working together.
During the interview, West lashed out to host Lauer over the practice of showing footage of Bush's interview as well as a clip of him interrupting Taylor Swift at the 2009 Video Music Awards during interviews while he was trying to respond to Lauer's questions. The rapper has since canceled his performance at TV show on November 26.
More Kanye West News
- Caitlyn Jenner Defends Daughter Kendall After the Infamous Pepsi Ad Debacle
- Ben Affleck 'Enjoys Being Single' After Divorcing Jennifer Garner
- Cashmere Cat Previews New Single 'Quit' Ft. Ariana Grande
- 'Scream' Season 3 to Get Makeover With New Cast and Location
- Drake Throws Shade at Jennifer Lopez While Staying at the Same Resort Shortly After Her Visit
- Stephen Colbert and Conan O'Brien Joke About Ivanka Trump Getting Booed in Germany
- Ewan McGregor Is in Talks to Star in Disney's 'Christopher Robin'
- Khloe Kardashian Hit With Lawsuit for Sharing Unlicensed Photo of Herself on Instagram