Carey Mulligan Is 'Great Gatsby' Frontrunner as Scarlett Johansson Not Available
Carey Mulligan is reportedly close to nab the female lead role in "The Great Gatsby". According to New York Magazine's Vulture, the "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" beauty is now director Baz Luhrmann's top choice to play Daisy Buchanan in the upcoming adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel of the same title.
Moreover, insiders tell the site that Scarlett Johansson, who was among the previously revealed contenders, "was still very much being considered" by Luhrmann and lead actor Leonardo DiCaprio after she was testing for the part. However, Johansson's recent commitment to star in Cameron Crowe's "We Bought a Zoo" that has spring start date will make her not available to join "Great Gatsby" which will start shooting next summer.
That allegedly leaves Mulligan as the current top candidate. The British star, who got Oscar nomination for her role in "An Education", can next be seen starring opposite Ryan Gosling in "Drive", which recently was filmed in Los Angeles.
Beside having Leonardo DiCaprio attached to star as Jay Gatsby, "The Great Gatsby" reportedly will book Tobey Maguire to portray Nick Carraway. The story, based on the novel, will revolve around the love life of Gatsby and Daisy in addition to highlighting a critique of the American Dream pictured in Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace.
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle
- Pregnant Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Covers Baby Bump in Trench Coat on Lunch Date With Jason Statham
- Fergie Shows Off Pert Derriere in Cheeky Instagram Picture
- George Clooney Finally Opens Up About Amal's Pregnancy
- Adele Named Top Music Legend of the Future
- Taron Egerton Is Seen Filming 'Robin Hood: Origins' in Croatia
- Possible 'Jurassic World 2' Plot Details Revealed
- 'Sherlock' Could Get Axed, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman's Busy Schedules Are to Blame