Carey Mulligan Is 'Great Gatsby' Frontrunner as Scarlett Johansson Not Available
Carey Mulligan is reportedly close to nab the female lead role in "The Great Gatsby". According to New York Magazine's Vulture, the "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" beauty is now director Baz Luhrmann's top choice to play Daisy Buchanan in the upcoming adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel of the same title.
Moreover, insiders tell the site that Scarlett Johansson, who was among the previously revealed contenders, "was still very much being considered" by Luhrmann and lead actor Leonardo DiCaprio after she was testing for the part. However, Johansson's recent commitment to star in Cameron Crowe's "We Bought a Zoo" that has spring start date will make her not available to join "Great Gatsby" which will start shooting next summer.
That allegedly leaves Mulligan as the current top candidate. The British star, who got Oscar nomination for her role in "An Education", can next be seen starring opposite Ryan Gosling in "Drive", which recently was filmed in Los Angeles.
Beside having Leonardo DiCaprio attached to star as Jay Gatsby, "The Great Gatsby" reportedly will book Tobey Maguire to portray Nick Carraway. The story, based on the novel, will revolve around the love life of Gatsby and Daisy in addition to highlighting a critique of the American Dream pictured in Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace.
- Calvin Harris Is Back on Social Media Following Car Accident, Posts Almost Naked Pic
- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys Welcome First Child
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope