'Megamind' Defeats 'Due Date' at Box Office
"Megamind" has conquered North American Box Office in its first week. During what is so called the opening of holiday season, the family movie has raked in $46 million, thanks to its solid reviews. The animation earns recommendations from 67% of the nation's critics, according to RottenTomatoes.com, and its 3-D treatment gets praise as well.
Attracting audience comprised 57% of females with 52% of patrons under age 25, the comedy which is supported by Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill as the voice cast is predicted to use increasing family moviegoing during the Thanksgiving period to sustain market traction for weeks to come. "We feel that we're poised for the holiday season," DreamWorks marketing maven Anne Globe says.
"Due Date", which comes from "The Hangover" director Todd Phillips and features one of the cast Zach Galifianakis, also has a solid debut weekend. It nabs the second place on the chart with $32.7 million though some call it a road version of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". "It was a huge weekend in general, and 'Due Date' did fabulously," Warner Bros exec vp distribution Jeff Goldstein gushes.
On number three there is another newcomer "For Colored Girls", a movie adaptation of the 1975 play. The latest work from Tyler Perry took in $19.5 million, about $3 million above expectations, USA Today reports.
"Red" drops one place from the third to the fourth with an additional $8.6 million cume, making a total of $71.7 million domestic gross so far. Meanwhile, "Saw 3D" is pushed aside by the newcomers, jumping from the top spot to the fifth with $7.7 million revenue.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for November 5-7:
- "Megamind" - $46 million
- "Due Date" - $32.7 million
- "For Colored Girls" - $19.5 million
- "Red" - $8.7 million
- "Saw 3D" - $7.7 million
- "Paranormal Activity 2" - $7.1 million
- "Jackass 3D" - $5 million
- "Secretariat" - $4.1 million
- "Hereafter (2010)" - $4 million
- "The Social Network" - $3.4 million
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video