2010 MTV EMAs: Lady GaGa and Justin Bieber Dominate Winners List
Lady GaGa won big at this year's MTV European Music Awards on Sunday night, November 7. The Mother Monster swept three prizes out of her five nominations, leading the winners pack. She couldn't attend the event since she had a Monster Ball concert scheduled in Budapest that night.
First, GaGa took home Best Pop Act, beating Katy Perry, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus and Usher. The 24-year-old singer/songwriter later grabbed Best Female Act, pushing aside Perry, Rihanna and Cyrus once again in addition to winning over Shakira.
Her third trophy that night was for Best Song. Her hit single "Bad Romance" triumphed over Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie", Perry's "California Gurls", Rihanna's "Rude Boy" and Usher's "OMG". "This means so much to me -- Europe I love you," she said via satellite adding that she wished she could be there to accept the awards.
Justin Bieber followed GaGa's domination with double gongs. The teen pop idol snatched Best Male from his seniors like Eminem, Enrique Iglesias, Kanye West and Usher. He accepted his trophy from "Hannah Montana" star Emily Osment via satellite since he was busy posting live, constant commentaries during the show as a digital host.
Wearing a black leather jacket and T-shirt, he told the crowd at the Caja Magica in Madrid, "This is amazing. I don't even know what to say. I think that all the other artists in the category are inspirations to me. I'm honored to win this. It's a big achievement." Bieber additionally was voted as Best Push Act. This time around, he won over Selena Gomez & The Scene, Professor Green, Mike Posner, Hurts, The Drums, Alexandra Burke, B.o.B and Ke$ha.
Losing to Bieber in Best Push Act, Ke$ha who performed at the event managed to walk home with one prize. She won Best New Act, preventing Bieber from wining his third nod and also blocking B.o.B, Jason Derulo and Plan B from taking it home.
Katy Perry also didn't return Stateside empty-handed. She was given an award for Best Video, thanks to her colorful "California Gurls" clip. "Thank you so much," she told the crowd. "I really want to thank you guys 'cause I was just onstage performing and you are the best f**king crowd in Europe. I really want to say thank you so much to everyone who helped me make this video and song. Snoop Dogg!"
2010 MTV European Music Awards was hosted by Eva Longoria with musical guests ranging from Rihanna, Bon Jovi, Shakira, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Ke$ha and Linkin Park. The other winners included Eminem (Best Hip-Hop), 30 Seconds to Mars (Best Rock), Paramore (Best Alternative) and Tokio Hotel (Best World Stage Performance).
Special honoree was Bon Jovi. The band who have sold over 125 million albums worldwide were handed a Global Icon prize. "Thanks for making us icons," frontman Jon Bon Jovi said upon receiving the award. "I want to thank you fans for this unbelievable ride over a quarter of a century. We're still doing what we do and we're doing it well."
The other special prize, Free Your Mind Award which rewarded artists for their social responsibility went to Shakira for her campaigning for education for disadvantaged children, most recently using the proceeds from the "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)" World Cup anthem for charity.
- Best Song: Lady GaGa - "Bad Romance"
- Best Live Act: Linkin Park
- Best Pop: Lady GaGa
- Best New Act: Ke$ha
- Best Female: Lady GaGa
- Best Male: Justin Bieber
- Best Hip-Hop: Eminem
- Best Rock: 30 Seconds to Mars
- Best Alternative: Paramore
- Best Video: Katy Perry - "California Gurls"
- Best Push Act: Justin Bieber
- Best World Stage Performance: Tokio Hotel
- Best European Act: Marco Mengoni
- MTV EMA Global Icon: Bon Jovi
- Free Your Mind: Shakira
- 'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell Teases the Return of Mystery Character and 'Meaner' Season 5
- Kanye West and Everyone, Including Taylor Swift, Sleep Naked in His 'Famous' Video
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Confirms the Presence of A.R.G.U.S.
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Pixie Haircut at Givenchy Fashion Show With Bella Hadid and More
- Teresa Palmer Finds Someone's Name Carved in New 'Lights Out' Trailer
- Liam Hemsworth Defends His 2012 Engagement to Miley Cyrus
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'