Michael Jackson's Family Fuming Over New Album Release, Branding It Fake
Sony Music Group is facing protest from Michael Jackson's family regarding the release of his new album which is simply titled "Michael". Brian Oxman, an attorney for Joe Jackson, said in a statement, "If Michael had wanted this music released he would have done so before his death."
"The songs which are being released on the new Michael Jackson album were unfinished and incomplete tracks that Michael said over and over many times he never wanted released," Oxman stated further. "We should honor Michael Jackson's wishes."
Complicating the controversy even more, Katherine Jackson branded some of the songs listed in the album fake. Michael's two oldest children, Prince Michael and Paris, additionally said that they were present when their dad recorded the songs in question, and claimed the album versions don't match up with what they heard in the studio.
Katherine then takes one of Michael's unreleased songs out of JacksonSecretVault and gives it for fans' listening pleasure. "In an effort to overcome the confusion as to the authenticity of the track the estate has recently released we want to give an actual authentic Michael Jackson track to the world ... for free," a representative told TMZ.
Despite those complaints, Sony Music which has announced December 14 as a release date for Michael's album insisted they have done forensic studies to prove that the songs are authentic. "We have complete confidence in the results of our extensive research as well as the accounts of those who were in the studio with Michael that the vocals on the new album are his own," the company said in a defensive statement.
In fact, they have revealed an official teaser to Michael's lead single titled "Breaking News". The new song will be debuted in full next Monday, November 8.
More Michael Jackson News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival