Rihanna Sends Condolences to Young Broadway Star Shannon Tavarez
Grammy-winning singer Rihanna has sent her condolences to young Broadway star Shannon Tavarez who passed away at 11 after a long battle with acute myeloid leukaemia. The 22-year-old star along with Alicia Keys and 50 Cent have given their support behind Shannon's campaign to find a bone marrow match.
And now that Shannon lost her battle with the cancer, Rihanna took it to her Twitter page to send her condolences. "Just got off of a plane ride and got horrible news that our little star Shannon Taverez (sic) has lost her battle against leukemia! Way too soon... keep her family in your prayers," the 22-year-old star wrote on Tuesday, November 2.
According to CBS News, Shannon died at Cohen Children's Medical Center in New Hyde Park, on Long Island on Monday afternoon, November 1. The site mentioned that the leukemia which was suffered by Shannon is a common type of leukemia among adults, but rare among children.
On Tuesday, November 2, the medical center has released a statement over Shannon's death. "She was a remarkable and talented young lady who touched the lives of those she entertained, as well as those who cared for her over the past several months," the statement read.
Shannon, who played the young Nala in hit musical "The Lion King", underwent an umbilical-cord blood transplant in August as an alternative to a bone marrow transplant after failing to find a suitable donor. She is of mixed heritage, which made it difficult for her to find a bone marrow match. Still, back at that time, Shannon didn't give in and encouraged others.
"Some people think that the test for compatibility is scary!" Shannon wrote on her website. "All it really takes to get started is a cotton swab of the inside of your cheek. So please get tested today. Who knows? You might be my match. Or, you may be able to help other young people with similar illnesses. And remember... 'One swab will do the job'."
More Rihanna News
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction
- Winona Ryder Defends Ex Johnny Depp Against Amber Heard's Abuse Allegations
- 'Star Trek Beyond' New Trailer: Captain Kirk Makes His Last Report
- Tyrese Gibson Confirms Return to 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Chris Brown Sued by Suge Knight Over 2014 Club Shooting. What's Breezy's Fault?
- Taylor Swift Tells Her Friends She's 'in Love' With Tom Hiddleston as Couple Enjoy Roman Holiday