Leonardo DiCaprio Set to Be Serial Killer in 'Devil in the White City'
After stealing dreams in "Inception", Leonardo DiCaprio will take people's lives in his upcoming movie. Deadline Hollywood reports that he nabs a serial killer role in "The Devil in the White City", a big screen adaptation of Erik Larson's 2003 nonfiction bestseller "Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair That Changed America".
DiCaprio will portray Herman Webster Mudgett aka H. H. Holmes, a man who confessed to murdering 27 people - and may have killed as many as 200 - during the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. He used the fair to lure young women to his elaborately constructed "Murder Castle". Another pivotal role in the story is Daniel Burnham, the chief architect behind the fair that served to celebrate the nation's growth.
Tom Cruise was previously also mentioned for the role but DiCaprio was reportedly so determined to play Holmes that he developed a rival project, relying on public domain to tell the story of the nation's first documented serial killer. He later acquires screen rights to the book. DiCaprio's Appian Way and Double Features plan to hire a writer and put together a package before making a deal with a studio.
Leonardo DiCaprio is known for consistently challenging himself with various roles. He is best known for playing opposite Kate Winslet in "Titanic" and has starred in Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island". The 36-year-old actor is slated to portray FBI director J. Edgar Hoover in the Clint Eastwood-directed "Hoover".
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media