'Saw 3D' Wins on Halloween Weekend
"Saw 3D" has picked the best momentum for its release as it attracts the most moviegoers during Halloween weekend. The horror thriller debuts on number one at North American Box Office with $22.5 million cume.
The movie gets about 92% of the revenue from 3-D screenings. Lionsgate apparently has mapped this on their marketing strategy as David Spitz, executive vice president and general manager at Lionsgate, says, "Our emphasis from day one was 3-D. After last year, we knew we needed to infuse something into the franchise."
This seventh "Saw" film is the fourth movie in the franchise to debut at number one. Despite the great performance, Spitz claims it will not trigger them to make another Jigsaw trap. "This is the final chapter of the series. The fact that we're going out with such a huge win is a great way to close the chapter," he states.
Commenting on "Saw 3D" release date, Gitesh Pandya of BoxOfficeGuru.com says, "Lionsgate was wise not to open Saw 3D head-to-head against 'Paranormal Activity ' since it knew it had the weaker film." In fact, "Paranormal Activity 2", which was predicted to maintain its box office crown this weekend, drops to the second place with $16.5 million gross.
"Red" has a steady third week with an additional $10.7 million revenue, suffering a modest decline of 28.6%. "Jackass 3D" and "Hereafter (2010)" follow on number four with $8.5 million and on number five with $6.4 million gross respectively.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for October 29-31:
- "Saw 3D" - $22.5 million
- "Paranormal Activity 2" - $16.5 million
- "Red" - $10.7 million
- "Jackass 3D" - $8.5 million
- "Hereafter (2010)" - $6.4 million
- "Secretariat" - $5 million
- "The Social Network" - $4.5 million
- "Life as We Know It" - $4 million
- "The Town" - $2 million
- "Conviction" - $1.8 million
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'