Official: Fox Plans Two 'Avatar' Sequels for 2014 and 2015
The 20th Century Fox could not wait any longer to make another "Avatar" movie. The studio has announced on Wednesday, October 27 that they are plotting "Avatar 2" for December 2014 and "Avatar 3" for December 2015 release.
James Cameron has signed up to work behind the lens for the follow-ups of his 2009 masterpiece and will shoot the movies starting in late 2011. He, however, will decide whether to film the two sequels back to back after he wraps up the scripts.
Cameron says in a statement, "In the second and third films, which will be self contained stories that also fulfill a greater story arc, we will not back off the throttle of AVATAR's visual and emotional horsepower and will continue to explore its themes and characters, which touched the hearts of audiences in all cultures around the world."
He additionally will team up with Jon Landau to produce the two films. "With the first movie, Jim only scratched the surface of the stories he wants to tell and the creatures and world he wants to create. Now we will continue his vision," Landau gushes.
"Avatar" starring Sam Worthington is the highest grossing film of all time, taking in nearly $2.8 billion in worldwide box office. It was released in 3-D and follows Jake Sully who embarks on a journey of redemption and discovery in distant moon Pandora.
Cameron recently revealed that he will explore the ocean on Pandora in "Avatar" sequel and shoot some underwater scenes, saying "I think what we should do there is - because we'll have to have characters that are in and under the water - is that we should actually capture them underwater."
More Avatar 2 News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal