Artist of the Week: Waka Flocka Flame
Waka Flocka Flame never dreamed of becoming what he is now. He used to play basketball and spend his time running the streets of Atlanta with his friends. But, once he tried his hands in music, the result was quite impressive. He managed to make an impact on the industry than most rappers who have spent their entire lives trying to do it.
He gained attention in Hip-Hop circle through a 2008 street album called "Salute Me or Shoot Me, Vol. 1". Its single "O Let's Do It" became a hit and rose to No. 7 on Billboard Rap Songs chart. This made people around him, including Gucci Mane, shocked and even he himself found it surprising. "Gucci and them were kind of shocked," he said. "Because nobody really knew I was rapping and then, all of a sudden, I had the biggest song in the South."
Despite having all the connections to get a quick step on music business since his mother is a CEO of artist management group Mizay Entertainment, Waka continues to work as hard as other artists, polishing his skills as a lyricist and rapper. He has built his own road and made sure he earned what he deserved.
With such determination and consistency, it is no wonder that he broke the Top 10 of Billboard Hot 200. His debut album "Flockaveli" arrived in U.S. stores on October 5 this year and bowed at No. 6 on the U.S. albums chart with 67,000 copies sold. On top of that, he landed at No. 8 on MTV's Hottest MCs in the Game list and performed in a number of major events including this year's BET Hip-Hop Awards.
More Waka Flocka Flame News
- Officially Back On? Kylie Jenner Tags Tyga on Her Booty In This Instagram Photo
- Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Separate After 11 Years of Marriage
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?