Tony Scott Confirms He'll Direct 'Top Gun 2', Won't Comment on Tom Cruise
Tony Scott is on board to fly with new "Top Gun" movie. Speaking to HitFix while promoting his upcoming movie "Unstoppable", the helmer says he has agreed to direct "Top Gun 2" which is being developed by Jerry Bruckheimer at Paramount Pictures.
"This world fascinated me, because it's so different from what it was originally," Scott gushes. Sharing a bit about his vision for the film, he states, "But, I don't want to do a remake. I don't want to do a reinvention. I want to do a new movie."
The man behind 1986 "Top Gun", however, would not confirm or deny rumor about Tom Cruise reprising his role as Maverick in the second film. He just says the upcoming movie will partially examine the end of the era of fighter pilots. "These guys are still test pilots and they manned the drones when they were first running them," Scott reveals.
Detailing further about the possible concept for "Top Gun 2", the 66-year-old Brit tells HitFix, "I'm going down to I think it's Fallon, Nevada, down near New Mexico and it's a whole different world now. These computer geeks -- these kids play war games in a trailer in Fallon, Nevada and if we ever went to war or were in the Middle East or the Far East or wherever it is, these guys can actually fly drones. They are unmanned aircraft. They operate them and then they party all night."
Despite his enthusiasm, Scott confirms "Top Gun 2" will not be his next project but possibly the one immediately after.
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding