Tony Scott Confirms He'll Direct 'Top Gun 2', Won't Comment on Tom Cruise
Tony Scott is on board to fly with new "Top Gun" movie. Speaking to HitFix while promoting his upcoming movie "Unstoppable", the helmer says he has agreed to direct "Top Gun 2" which is being developed by Jerry Bruckheimer at Paramount Pictures.
"This world fascinated me, because it's so different from what it was originally," Scott gushes. Sharing a bit about his vision for the film, he states, "But, I don't want to do a remake. I don't want to do a reinvention. I want to do a new movie."
The man behind 1986 "Top Gun", however, would not confirm or deny rumor about Tom Cruise reprising his role as Maverick in the second film. He just says the upcoming movie will partially examine the end of the era of fighter pilots. "These guys are still test pilots and they manned the drones when they were first running them," Scott reveals.
Detailing further about the possible concept for "Top Gun 2", the 66-year-old Brit tells HitFix, "I'm going down to I think it's Fallon, Nevada, down near New Mexico and it's a whole different world now. These computer geeks -- these kids play war games in a trailer in Fallon, Nevada and if we ever went to war or were in the Middle East or the Far East or wherever it is, these guys can actually fly drones. They are unmanned aircraft. They operate them and then they party all night."
Despite his enthusiasm, Scott confirms "Top Gun 2" will not be his next project but possibly the one immediately after.
- 'The Originals' to End After 5 Seasons
- Linkin Park's Frontman Chester Bennington Commits Suicide at 41
- Hulu Sets Fall 2017 Premiere Dates for 'Marvel's Runaways', 'Mindy Project' and More
- Girls' Generation Graces the Cover of W Korea for Their 10th Anniversary
- Kanye West Gives Paralyzed Fan Custom Yeezy Boots
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Hire 18 New Staff for Twin Kids
- Blac Chyna Is Starring in Nicki Minaj's New Music Video
- Ryan Seacrest Is Officially Returning to 'American Idol'