George Lucas NOT Planning New 'Star Wars' Trilogy
There will be no new "Star Wars" films in the foreseeable future. In contrary to previous report that George Lucas is pitching a new trilogy of the hit sci-fi movie series, a spokesman for his production company Lucasfilm claims the story is not true.
"This is, of course, completely false," the spokesman, Josh Kushins, tells Wired.com via email. "George Lucas has plenty of projects to keep him busy right now - including plenty of Star Wars projects - but there are no new Star Wars feature films planned."
The denial is released after IESB reported on Friday, October 22 that an "ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider" informed them the new trilogy would land after the planned 3-D conversion of the six "Star Wars" films. The site additionally claimed the new projects would not be prequels but instead sequels and they have nothing to do with the live action television series currently in development.
Reactions from fans were varied regarding the rumor. "I, personally, would love to see another trilogy, so long as it doesn't overlook everything that has happened post-[Return of the Jedi], like the Thrawn trilogy/Legacy of the Force/Fate of the Jedi," so wrote ObiWanJedi93 on TheForce.net's Star Wars community board. Meanwhile, Princess Namey on an Adult Swim message board thread was a bit skeptical, stating "Oh gawd why!? Why can't [Lucas] try and make 'original' movies again, and leave Star Wars alone?"
In the meantime, fans can expect to see their favorite films in 3-D theaters, starting with "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" in 2012. 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm have not announced an exact release date, but it was said they eye a date around Valentine's Day.
- Doctor Strange Could Unite the Divided Avengers in 'Infinity War', Says Benedict Cumberbatch
- Justin Bieber Previews New Song 'Close to You'
- Watch Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon Return to Camp Winnipesaukee in the Fall
- They Don't Belong Together. James Packer Dumps Mariah Carey Over Her 'Excessive Spending'
- James McAvoy Lets Loose 'The Beast' in New 'Split' Trailer
- Britney Spears Undergoing Surgery to 'Tweak' Her Nipples and Areolas?
- Pussy Riot Dedicates 'Straight Outta Vagina' Video to Donald Trump
- See Photos of 'Pretty Little Liars' Stars on Last Day of Filming Series Finale