'Paranormal Activity 2' Sets New R-Rated Midnight Record
Paramount Pictures' efforts to promote "Paranormal Activity 2" are paid off. Entertainment Weekly reports the movie grosses an estimated $6.3 million from its midnight shows on Thursday, October 22, breaking R-rated midnight record which was previously held by 2009 "Watchmen" with $4.6 million.
The number additionally breaks record for largest October midnight opening, which was set a week ago by "Jackass 3D" with $2.5 million. This early turnout will make the horror film, which was heavily promoted as a "midnight movie", easily surpass "Paranormal Activity" opening weekend gross of $20 million.
People's enthusiasm for "Paranormal Activity 2" was seen when fans lined up in front of theaters across the nation on Thursday morning to attend the first midnight screenings. Paramount had previously held free screening of "Paranormal Activity" sequel in several cities on October 20.
Directed by Tod Williams, the movie follows a family who sets up security cameras around their home, after experiencing what they think are a series of "break-ins", only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem. One of the family members, Kristi, is apparently sister to Katie from the first movie.
- Kanye West Surprises Kim Kardashian With Huge Flower Bouquets Again for Wedding Anniversary
- Peek-a-Boob! Pamela Anderson Flaunts Famous Cleavage in Slashed Gown in Monaco
- Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor Announce Split After 17 Years of Marriage
- Ariana Grande Shares Emotional Letter, Announces Manchester Benefit Concert: 'We Won't Let Hate Win'
- 'Paddington 2' Gets a January 2018 Release Date
- Madonna Is 'Getting Serious' With Her New Toy Boy
- Is Angelina Jolie Adopting More Children Following Brad Pitt Divorce?
- Is Kim Kardashian Exiting 'KUWTK' for Politics?