'Paranormal Activity 2' Sets New R-Rated Midnight Record
Paramount Pictures' efforts to promote "Paranormal Activity 2" are paid off. Entertainment Weekly reports the movie grosses an estimated $6.3 million from its midnight shows on Thursday, October 22, breaking R-rated midnight record which was previously held by 2009 "Watchmen" with $4.6 million.
The number additionally breaks record for largest October midnight opening, which was set a week ago by "Jackass 3D" with $2.5 million. This early turnout will make the horror film, which was heavily promoted as a "midnight movie", easily surpass "Paranormal Activity" opening weekend gross of $20 million.
People's enthusiasm for "Paranormal Activity 2" was seen when fans lined up in front of theaters across the nation on Thursday morning to attend the first midnight screenings. Paramount had previously held free screening of "Paranormal Activity" sequel in several cities on October 20.
Directed by Tod Williams, the movie follows a family who sets up security cameras around their home, after experiencing what they think are a series of "break-ins", only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem. One of the family members, Kristi, is apparently sister to Katie from the first movie.
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Lead Music Nominees
- Is Nicki Minaj the Reason Drake Can't Fully Commit to Rihanna?
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Pretty Little Liars' and 'Vampire Diaries' Dominate TV Nominations
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates 2nd Wedding Anniversary With Kanye West in Italy
- Jason Derulo Splits From Girlfriend Daphne Joy
- Twitter Users Are Begging Marvel to Give Captain America a Boyfriend
- Amy Schumer Blasts Body Shaming 'Trolls': 'I Think I Look Strong and Healthy'