'Paranormal Activity 2' Sets New R-Rated Midnight Record
Paramount Pictures' efforts to promote "Paranormal Activity 2" are paid off. Entertainment Weekly reports the movie grosses an estimated $6.3 million from its midnight shows on Thursday, October 22, breaking R-rated midnight record which was previously held by 2009 "Watchmen" with $4.6 million.
The number additionally breaks record for largest October midnight opening, which was set a week ago by "Jackass 3D" with $2.5 million. This early turnout will make the horror film, which was heavily promoted as a "midnight movie", easily surpass "Paranormal Activity" opening weekend gross of $20 million.
People's enthusiasm for "Paranormal Activity 2" was seen when fans lined up in front of theaters across the nation on Thursday morning to attend the first midnight screenings. Paramount had previously held free screening of "Paranormal Activity" sequel in several cities on October 20.
Directed by Tod Williams, the movie follows a family who sets up security cameras around their home, after experiencing what they think are a series of "break-ins", only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem. One of the family members, Kristi, is apparently sister to Katie from the first movie.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival