'Paranormal Activity 2' Sets New R-Rated Midnight Record
Paramount Pictures' efforts to promote "Paranormal Activity 2" are paid off. Entertainment Weekly reports the movie grosses an estimated $6.3 million from its midnight shows on Thursday, October 22, breaking R-rated midnight record which was previously held by 2009 "Watchmen" with $4.6 million.
The number additionally breaks record for largest October midnight opening, which was set a week ago by "Jackass 3D" with $2.5 million. This early turnout will make the horror film, which was heavily promoted as a "midnight movie", easily surpass "Paranormal Activity" opening weekend gross of $20 million.
People's enthusiasm for "Paranormal Activity 2" was seen when fans lined up in front of theaters across the nation on Thursday morning to attend the first midnight screenings. Paramount had previously held free screening of "Paranormal Activity" sequel in several cities on October 20.
Directed by Tod Williams, the movie follows a family who sets up security cameras around their home, after experiencing what they think are a series of "break-ins", only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem. One of the family members, Kristi, is apparently sister to Katie from the first movie.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked