Adam Lambert Tells LGBT Youth in New PSA: 'It Gets Better'
Adam Lambert takes the baton from other stars who have recorded a PSA for "It Gets Better" campaign. The singer sends a positive message to LGBT youth out there from the point of view of an openly-gay public figure, saying even he still got bullied by people with "nasty" comments.
"It seems hard," Lambert said in the black and white video. "I think being different is always going to be a tough climb. There's always going to be people that are going to be scared of it. But at the end of the day, if you give those bullies and those people that are so ignorant and fearful of your lifestyle, if you give them the power to affect you, you're letting them win, and they don't deserve that."
In an attempt to explain how bullying is still pretty much affecting a lot of people, Lambert takes himself as an example. "Even someone like me, someone that has recently come into some success in his career. I'm touring the world, I have a CD out, I do music videos, I'm living my dream. Even I get bullied," he said.
"You look under any comment section on any article, and there's bullies in there telling me that I'm a f----t, that I'm ugly, that I'm gross - 'Ew, gross, nasty, he's a girly' - all this crap. I'm singled out and it's all 'gay, gay, gay, gay, gay,' even though there is so much more to me than just who I choose to sleep with." Closing the video, Lambert said, "It gets better, but it's up to you."
Lambert's PSA comes on the heels of 15-year-old Billy Lucas' suicide due to bullying. "Savage Love" columnist Dan Savage started the video series which was then supported by Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj and Aubrey O'Day among others.
More Adam Lambert News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival