Earth's Destruction Will Open Lars von Trier's 'Melancholia'
The world will see the end when "Melancholia" just starts, Lars von Trier dished on his upcoming disaster movie. The Danish filmmaker was spilling plot details about the film in a recent interview with Politiken, saying "So we begin by seeing the world being crushed, then we can tell the story afterwards."
"In 'Melancholia' I start with the end. Because what is interesting is not what happens but how it happens!" he explained. "In this way you don't have to sit and form theories about what will happen, but can delve down into some other levels and become interested in the pictures and the universe - that's what I imagine."
von Trier went on by describing the basic difference of his two main characters, who will be portrayed by Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg. The melancholic sister "is calm as a rock because, in her darkened mind, she has always felt that things go as expected - to hell!" the site wrote, with the helmer adding, "And there are beautiful pictures as she is just standing there looking at the planet that comes closer and closer and accepts it. The other woman, on the other hand, becomes increasingly panicky."
The melancholic sister pushes everything away after being married. And when she learns her nephew's fear about the impending planetary collision, "she positions herself in between the disaster and the boy and tells him about a special cave where he can be safe."
In "Melancholia", von Trier pours his emotions from his childhood, during when he feared becoming the victim of everything from nuclear war to appendicitis. He refused to spill more details about the film, but stated, "It could be beautiful if 'Melancholia' could become this big submission. That is why it's so awesome that the planet devours the earth. It's like no more lying on the hilltop and looking at the larks."
Alexander Skarsgard, Kiefer Sutherland, John Hurt and Stellan Skarsgard and more round up the main cast of "Melancholia". The sci-fi drama movie is set for 2011 release in the U.S.
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen
- Ciara Is Pregnant With Russell Wilson's Baby. See the Sweet Announcement
- Perrie Edwards Splits From Luke Pasqualino After Two Months of Dating
- Shawn Levy to Direct Sony's 'Uncharted' Movie
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says