Official: 'The Hobbit' Gets Green Light and Start Date
Finally, "The Hobbit" is a go. New Line president and COO Toby Emmerich, Warner Bros. president and COO Alan Horn, as well as MGM co-CEO Steve Cooper have made a joint statement to announce that they have given a green light for the two parts of the movie, which will be shot back to back and in 3-D.
The press release also informs that production will start in February 2011 under the direction of Peter Jackson, who also serves as producer and screenwriter. "There is no human being on the planet as qualified as Peter Jackson to direct these films. Peter is incredibly talented and has the creative vision and experience to bring this beloved property to live in a way that no other filmmaker could," Alan says in the statement.
Peter will shoot "The Hobbit" in 3-D but where the filming will take place is still a question mark since a dispute with SAG, New Zealand Actors' Equity and several other international unions, which ban the movie to shoot in New Zealand, has not been resolved. However, Peter has previously threatened to move the production if an agreement could not be reached, adding that Warner Bros. is looking at five different locales around the world to host the project.
"The Hobbit" was put on hold for some time due to MGM's financial problem which then led Guillermo del Toro to leave the directing seat. Not long after the unions expressed their protest to the planned production in New Zealand, the project was hit with another problem as a studio in Wellington which would be used to film some parts of the movie was wrecked in a serious fire in early October.
"The Hobbit" will re-create the scenes of the novel, with additional events that make an impact to "The Lords of the Rings". The first part of the upcoming adventure movie is planned to arrive in December 2012 while "The Hobbit 2" is expected to come out a year later.
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'
- Victim's Relative Says Chris Soules Fatal Car Crash 'Was Just a Freak Accident'
- Tarek El Moussa and Christina Put Divorce on Hold to Focus on Their Show
- Kendra Wilkinson Is Slammed by Farrah Abraham on 'Marriage Boot Camp' Promo
- Caitlyn Jenner Claps Back at Kris Jenner Over Harsh Comment About Caitlyn's New Memoir
- HyunA Gets Slammed for Saying That Skin Exposure on Stage Should Be Justified