George Michael Released Early From Jail, Ready 'to Start Again'
George Michael is now a free man. Jailed for possession of cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs following a car crash in north London in July, the 47-year-old singer was released early from Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England, on Monday, October 11, Associated Press reported.
Although Michael was expected to serve eight weeks in jail, the former Wham! star left the facility after serving only four weeks. The judge has ordered him to serve the four weeks of the sentence in jail and the remainder of his sentence on parole. Michael was also ordered to pay about $2,000 in fines and banned from driving for five years.
Talking to reporters outside his north London home on Monday, Michael said, "I'm coming out here on my own so that you realize I'm going to start again. I'm going to try and stop running away from you guys." The "Faith" singer later thanked his fans for all their support while he was in jail, calling it "quite inspiring."
And Michael is ready to be back to his music career, saying that regaining his freedom has given him inspiration for a new tune. He told members of the media outside his home, "I just thought of a really good idea for a song. It's going to be nothing to do with prison."
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding