George Michael Released Early From Jail, Ready 'to Start Again'
George Michael is now a free man. Jailed for possession of cannabis and driving under the influence of drugs following a car crash in north London in July, the 47-year-old singer was released early from Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England, on Monday, October 11, Associated Press reported.
Although Michael was expected to serve eight weeks in jail, the former Wham! star left the facility after serving only four weeks. The judge has ordered him to serve the four weeks of the sentence in jail and the remainder of his sentence on parole. Michael was also ordered to pay about $2,000 in fines and banned from driving for five years.
Talking to reporters outside his north London home on Monday, Michael said, "I'm coming out here on my own so that you realize I'm going to start again. I'm going to try and stop running away from you guys." The "Faith" singer later thanked his fans for all their support while he was in jail, calling it "quite inspiring."
And Michael is ready to be back to his music career, saying that regaining his freedom has given him inspiration for a new tune. He told members of the media outside his home, "I just thought of a really good idea for a song. It's going to be nothing to do with prison."
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'