Johnny Depp and Lady GaGa Named the Most Powerful Entertainers
Johnny Depp made a spectacular leap to the top of a newly-released Entertainment Weekly's Power List. Topping the 50 Most Powerful Entertainers list, the "Pirates of the Caribbean" star was joined by controversial singer Lady GaGa who secured the runner-up place.
"Depp's career has been a long, strange trip - and ending up the most powerful actor in Hollywood is the weirdest twist of all," the mag explained. "He's rarely followed the standard playbook, choosing roles as misfits (Edward Scissorhands, Gilbert Grape) and oddballs (Ed Wood, Ichabod Crane) over the usual romantic leads and action heroes."
GaGa, in the meantime, was second on the list thanks to her 5.1 million in album sales, 26.4 million tracks, and 1.1 billion YouTube views. GaGa will still also make fortune as she is set to release her new album "Born This Way" which will hit U.S. shelves sometime in 2011. On the album, Elton John said as quoted by the mag, "Her record - it's f***ing amazing."
Joining Depp and GaGa on the EW's Power List was talk show host and media mogul Oprah Winfrey, who landed on the third spot. Meanwhile, former "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell and actor/singer Will Smith rounded up the top five.
"Iron Man" actor Robert Downey Jr. secured the sixth place with Oscar winning actress Sandra Bullock on the seventh place. While "Inception" star Leonardo DiCaprio and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres landed the eighth and ninth places respectively, hip-hop star Eminem rounded up the top ten.
Additionally, the mag also paid tribute to Highest-Grossing Movie Stars Under-40. Sam Worthington, thanks to his three leading films "Avatar", "Clash of the Titans" and "Terminator Salvation", topped the list with "Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe coming in second.
"Twilight" stars Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson as well as Will Smith's teenage son Jaden Smith made it to the top five. Meanwhile, Orlando Bloom, Shia LaBeouf, Tobey Maguire, Hayden Christensen and Worthington's "Avatar" co-star Zoe Saldana rounded up the top ten.
More Johnny Depp News
- Chris Brown Is Released on $250K Bail, Lawyer Calls Assault Allegations 'Demonstrably False'
- Daniel Craig Goes Blonde for His Villain Role in 'Logan Lucky'
- Tyga Has His Ferrari Repossessed While Bentley Shopping With Kylie Jenner
- 'The Flash' Teases Flashpoint Storyline in First Official Images From Season 3
- Halsey Flashes Her Bare Crotch as She Ditches Panties for a VMA After-Party
- Marvel Developing 'New Warriors' Comedy Series Featuring Squirrel Girl
- Mark Hamill Shaves His Jedi Beard and Hints at His Return to 'Star Wars Episode IX'
- 'Supergirl' Casts Superman Villain Metallo for Season 2