John Mayer Quits Twitter in the Name of Art
Last month, "Your Body Is a Wonderland" hitmaker John Mayer decided to say goodbye to his Twitter followers. And now, Mayer took to his official site to explain his retirement from the micro-blogging site. "It occurred to me that since the invocation of Twitter, nobody who has participated in it has created any lasting art," the singer started.
"And yes! Yours truly is included in that roundup as well. Let me make sure that statement is as absolute and irrevocable as possible by buzzing your tower one more time," Mayer added. The ex-boyfriend of Jennifer Aniston later trashed Twitter users, writing "No artwork created by someone with a healthy grasp of social media thus far has proven to be anything other than disposable."
Mayer then gave examples on some stars who didn't use Twitter yet they are able to create "their best works" such as Tina Fey for "penning the best show on television" as well as Aaron Sorkin, who never uses Facebook, for his "artistic contribution that the media sites are talking about so much."
"Those who decide to remain offline will make better work than those online. Why?" Mayer mused. "Because great ideas have to gather. They have to pass the test of withstanding thirteen different moods, four different months and sixty different edits. Anything less is day trading. You can either get a bunch of mentions now or change someone's life next year."
Again, Mayer snipped, "I'm not knocking Twitter for those who are trying to make a name for themselves. Some people need all the RTs they can get today. But for those who have already established themselves it's a slow erosion of the artistic notion."
More John Mayer News
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?