Starz Moves On With 'Spartacus', Andy Whitfield Replaced
Starz has come into conclusion that they will replace Andy Whitfield instead of terminating "Spartacus: Blood and Sand". Whitfield, who plays the titular character, announced last month that his cancer is back and therefore chose to withdraw from season 2 to tend to his health. Producers were then left with two options which are to cast a new actor or end the show.
A report has just arrived that the network is officially looking for a new actor to portray Spartacus. They want a Caucasian male in his mid to late 30s to fill in the "smart, intense, passionate" role. Those who audition are required to have an authentic British accent and commit to a three-year contract.
It is still unclear whose decision it is to move on with the show. Exec producer Steven S. DeKnight said previously, "I want to talk to Andy and find out how he feels about the options. That's obviously very important to us."
Just a few days ago, Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht revealed that they considered having a new program in 2011 slate. But it would only happen if casting change doesn't pan out.
"Blood and Sand" was scheduled to begin production immediately after the production end of its prequel "Spartacus: Gods of Arena". It is still unclear whether the recasting would do a delay. "Gods of the Arena" which doesn't involve Whitfield's character will bow in January 2011.
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes