'The Social Network' Tops Box Office, 'Let Me In' Not Scary Enough
Facebook has proven to be a moneymaker and the movie is no different. Picking up the story of the site creation by Mark Zuckerberg and his friends, "The Social Network" wins the attention of moviegoers, making it nab the first place at North American Box Office in its first week with $22.4 million cume.
"It's playing very broadly, and this is a terrific start," Sony distribution president Rory Bruer says about the Jesse Eisenberg-starring film which has been hailed by movie critics. "For an adult drama, this is a terrific opening," he further gushes. "It's not going to open like a romantic comedy or an action adventure, but it's going to stay around longer."
Other newcomers do not manage to reach high positions like "Social Network" does. "Let Me In", which has another vampire-themed story, debuts at the eighth with $5.1 million. "Case 39", which had been shelved for a long time before it was finally released in early October, is on the seventh with a slightly bigger revenue of $5.4 million.
"Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" still secures the runner-up title with an additional $10.9 million revenue. Last week's winner "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" drops to the third with $10 million gross (down 47.4%).
"The Town" and "Easy A" drop one position each. The crime drama, which is directed by Ben Affleck, lands on the fourth with $9.7 million haul, followed by the teen comedy which adds $6.7 million to its domestic gross.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for October 1-3:
- "The Social Network" - $22.4 million
- "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" - $10.9 million
- "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" - $10 million
- "The Town" - $9.7 million
- "Easy A" - $6.7 million
- "You Again" - $5.7 million
- "Case 39" - $5.4 million
- "Let Me In" - $5.1 million
- "Devil" - $3.6 million
- "Alpha and Omega" - $2.9 million
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7