'The Social Network' Tops Box Office, 'Let Me In' Not Scary Enough
Facebook has proven to be a moneymaker and the movie is no different. Picking up the story of the site creation by Mark Zuckerberg and his friends, "The Social Network" wins the attention of moviegoers, making it nab the first place at North American Box Office in its first week with $22.4 million cume.
"It's playing very broadly, and this is a terrific start," Sony distribution president Rory Bruer says about the Jesse Eisenberg-starring film which has been hailed by movie critics. "For an adult drama, this is a terrific opening," he further gushes. "It's not going to open like a romantic comedy or an action adventure, but it's going to stay around longer."
Other newcomers do not manage to reach high positions like "Social Network" does. "Let Me In", which has another vampire-themed story, debuts at the eighth with $5.1 million. "Case 39", which had been shelved for a long time before it was finally released in early October, is on the seventh with a slightly bigger revenue of $5.4 million.
"Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" still secures the runner-up title with an additional $10.9 million revenue. Last week's winner "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" drops to the third with $10 million gross (down 47.4%).
"The Town" and "Easy A" drop one position each. The crime drama, which is directed by Ben Affleck, lands on the fourth with $9.7 million haul, followed by the teen comedy which adds $6.7 million to its domestic gross.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for October 1-3:
- "The Social Network" - $22.4 million
- "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" - $10.9 million
- "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" - $10 million
- "The Town" - $9.7 million
- "Easy A" - $6.7 million
- "You Again" - $5.7 million
- "Case 39" - $5.4 million
- "Let Me In" - $5.1 million
- "Devil" - $3.6 million
- "Alpha and Omega" - $2.9 million
- Report: Taylor Swift and Harry Styles Getting Back Together
- 'DWTS' Stars Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Survive Attempted Break-In
- Heather Morris on Her 'DWTS' Elimination: 'I Was Very Happy for the Last Time to Be Amazing'
- Tyga's Afraid of Losing Kylie Jenner Forever as He Feels 'Threatened' by Travis Scott
- Hailee Steinfeld's New Song 'Most Girls' Will Arrive This Week
- Tiny's 'Nervous' to Divorce T.I.: Their Children Are Her Biggest Concern
- Madonna Slams Biopic 'Blonde Ambition'
- AMC Renews 'Into the Badlands' for Expanded Season 3