Nick Jonas Teams Up With Michelle Obama to Fight Child Obesity
The youngest member of Jonas Brothers Nick Jonas is teaming up with U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama for Walt Disney Company's new healthy living initiative called "Disney Magic of Healthy Living". The scheme, which was announced on Thursday, September 30, aims to push back child obesity, Associated Press reported.
For the "Magic of Healthy Living" campaign, Nick and Michelle will be featured in public service announcements which will be launched to encourage kids to adopt a healthy lifestyle. In a statement, Disney revealed that they will make a one-million-dollar grant to help build play spaces and gardens in 10 under served communities nationwide.
It is believed that the lack of safe places to play in many U.S. inner cities has become one of the reasons behind the United States' childhood obesity problem as it leads children to stay indoors instead of playing outsides. And Michelle wants to raise awareness of the child obesity problem as it has affected more U.S. kids today than it did 30 years ago.
"I am thrilled to join 'Disney's Magic of Healthy Living' effort and support the work these young people are doing to reach out to their peers and communicate this powerful message," Michelle said. "I hope through programs like the 'Magic of Healthy Living' young people are inspired to take control of their own health, fitness and nutrition and engage their families, schools and communities to do the same."
Nick, in the meantime, said in a PSA, "Did you know that getting up and getting active for just 60 minutes a day is all it takes to get stronger, look better and feel great?" Beside Nick and Michelle, Disney starlet Brenda Song and other celebrities also join the force, which is part of the "Let's Move" campaign launched by the U.S. First Lady in January.
Of the campaign, Disney president and CEO Bob Iger additionally stated, "We are very proud to take the next step in our long-term commitment to helping families achieve healthier lifestyles, and are especially gratified to work with the First Lady on the 'Let's Move' campaign."
Walt Disney Company's "Disney Magic of Healthy Living":
More Nick Jonas News
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed
- Living Life to the Fullest! Brad Pitt Caught Cozying Up to Sienna Miller and Elle Macpherson
- Louis Tomlinson Was Feeling Left Out of One Direction: 'What Have I Really Done to Contribute Here?'
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Accused by NASA of Scamming Customers With Healing Stickers
- Liev Schreiber Spotted With Another Woman Amid Dating Rumors With Gerard Butler's Ex Morgan Brown
- Future and Chris Brown Are Total Womanizers in Sexy 'Pie' Video