Catherine Zeta-Jones Gets Emotional Onstage When Talking About Michael Douglas
Catherine Zeta-Jones fought back tears when addressing a 13,000-strong crowd during her welcome speech at a Ryder Cup concert on Wednesday night, September 29. The actress, who hit the event without her husband Michael Douglas due to his throat cancer treatment, said, "He's holding up very, very well."
"Everyone couldn't be happier with his progress. He's holding up with great strength and dignity," Catherine went on. The "Mask of Zorro" star told the audience that Michael was initially set to join her at the Welcome To Wales concert at Cardiff Millennium Stadium but later scrapped the plan due to the treatment in New York.
"Michael will be glued to anything that has a golf ball and a club, especially the Ryder Cup. Usually I would be watching with him," Catherine shared. "He would be representing the American team and I would be wholeheartedly representing the European team, but not this year, maybe next time." Asking for a tissue and then dabbing her eyes, she added, "He's not traveling with me. He's just finished his treatment."
And though she didn't have hubby Michael by her side, Catherine honored her commitment to her native-promotion event. The star, in her red long flowing gown, told Wales Online, "It's going to be an amazing night and I feel honored to be part of it. I'm so proud to see such a massive event coming to Wales." At the concert, Catherine performed a medley of Welsh hymns.
While Catherine opened the event with her welcoming speech, Steve Jones served as the host. The concert saw performances from Shirley Bassey, Katherine Jenkins and male voice choir Only Men Aloud, who welcomed the European and United States Ryder Cup teams. Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, also lent a hand for the event.
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones