Despite Efforts, 'Lone Star' Rating Tanks and Thus Canceled
"Lone Star" officially becomes the first show that suffers the casualty of broadcast season this Fall. The premiere on September 20 surprisingly only absorbed 4.1 million viewers and creator Kyle Killen had taken a desperate measure to ensure people watch the sophomore episode. Despite Killen's urge for people to tune in, the number tanked lower to 3.2 million.
In place of the unfortunate show, the third season of "Lie to Me" will be premiered earlier than scheduled. The procedural drama was supposed to begin airing in November on Wednesday nights but it will now occupy the Monday 9/8c slot.
For one, "Lone Star" is not a bad drama, review-wise. Metacritic said "if this isn't the best-received pilot of the season, it's close" while The A.V. Club called it "the best network pilot of the year". The "Lone Star" promotional effort is not to be blamed as well, for its logo and posters had been gracing online medias in the past few weeks.
Revealing what he thought would be the cause, Killen talked to Los Angeles Times before the cancellation. "Premiere week looked like a lot of speeding trains on the same track, with lots of carnage and wreckage," he thought. "And Monday turned out to be a surprisingly difficult night. There are really strong returning shows and a heavily hyped new show. I think we got lost - we got missed by a huge swath of America."
"Lone Star" is not the only show in jeopardy. "The Whole Truth" only took 4.9 million viewers while fellow ABC show "My Generation" drew 5.2 million. "Outlaw" on NBC is not doing well either, withdrawing 4.9 million viewers which is still comparably better than "The Apprentice" with 3.8 million.
More Lone Star News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip