Artist of the Week: Sara Bareilles
From making a massive debut with "Little Voice", Sara Bareilles crafted "Kaleidoscope Heart". Recorded amid "the expectations, the pressure, the anxiety of what's to come, the idea that maybe she's already written her best work," it finally becomes a collection of songs she's beyond proud of.
Led by single "King of Anything", the effort made its debut at No. 1 on Billboard Hot 200, giving the 30-year-old singer/songwriter her first chart-topper and best sales week ever. It arrived on the U.S. albums chart with 90,000 sold.
"Weeks before I was supposed to start recording, I was in full-scale panic-attack mode, feeling pressure to start the ball rolling again, but not having material I cared about," she shared. "I only had about 4 new songs that I really loved, and the rest were truly embarrassing."
Despite filling the album with songs she didn't feel right, Bareilles followed an advice from a good friend who told her to get back to songwriting table. "Thank God he did, because the floodgates opened after a taste of what being in the studio would look and feel like. It was easy, and exciting, and infinitely inspiring," she gushed.
The rest of the record was written in about a month, largely based around song "Uncharted". "My fear of what was to come was keeping me from doing anything. And finally, I cared about what I was saying," she said. As homage to the song that "freed" her, she took the album's title from its lyrics.
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending