Artist of the Week: Sara Bareilles
From making a massive debut with "Little Voice", Sara Bareilles crafted "Kaleidoscope Heart". Recorded amid "the expectations, the pressure, the anxiety of what's to come, the idea that maybe she's already written her best work," it finally becomes a collection of songs she's beyond proud of.
Led by single "King of Anything", the effort made its debut at No. 1 on Billboard Hot 200, giving the 30-year-old singer/songwriter her first chart-topper and best sales week ever. It arrived on the U.S. albums chart with 90,000 sold.
"Weeks before I was supposed to start recording, I was in full-scale panic-attack mode, feeling pressure to start the ball rolling again, but not having material I cared about," she shared. "I only had about 4 new songs that I really loved, and the rest were truly embarrassing."
Despite filling the album with songs she didn't feel right, Bareilles followed an advice from a good friend who told her to get back to songwriting table. "Thank God he did, because the floodgates opened after a taste of what being in the studio would look and feel like. It was easy, and exciting, and infinitely inspiring," she gushed.
The rest of the record was written in about a month, largely based around song "Uncharted". "My fear of what was to come was keeping me from doing anything. And finally, I cared about what I was saying," she said. As homage to the song that "freed" her, she took the album's title from its lyrics.
More Sara Bareilles News
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album
- Hayes Grier Shares Photo From Hospital, Assures Fans He's 'Good' After Dirt Bike Crash
- Constance Wu Slams 'Great Wall' for Whitewashing: Our Heroes Don't Look Like Matt Damon
- Zachary Quinto Addresses Engagement Speculations and Wedding Plans to Miles McMillan
- Justin Bieber Teases 'Cold Water' Video as the Major Lazer Collab Hits No. 1 on U.K. Chart
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC