Artist of the Week: Sara Bareilles
From making a massive debut with "Little Voice", Sara Bareilles crafted "Kaleidoscope Heart". Recorded amid "the expectations, the pressure, the anxiety of what's to come, the idea that maybe she's already written her best work," it finally becomes a collection of songs she's beyond proud of.
Led by single "King of Anything", the effort made its debut at No. 1 on Billboard Hot 200, giving the 30-year-old singer/songwriter her first chart-topper and best sales week ever. It arrived on the U.S. albums chart with 90,000 sold.
"Weeks before I was supposed to start recording, I was in full-scale panic-attack mode, feeling pressure to start the ball rolling again, but not having material I cared about," she shared. "I only had about 4 new songs that I really loved, and the rest were truly embarrassing."
Despite filling the album with songs she didn't feel right, Bareilles followed an advice from a good friend who told her to get back to songwriting table. "Thank God he did, because the floodgates opened after a taste of what being in the studio would look and feel like. It was easy, and exciting, and infinitely inspiring," she gushed.
The rest of the record was written in about a month, largely based around song "Uncharted". "My fear of what was to come was keeping me from doing anything. And finally, I cared about what I was saying," she said. As homage to the song that "freed" her, she took the album's title from its lyrics.
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'