Lady GaGa Delivering Speech Against 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy in Maine Protest
Lady GaGa has taken it to the podium to voice her protest over 1993 policy, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", which prohibits service members from revealing if they're gay. Dressing in a dark suit and a patriotic stars-and-stripes tie while wearing big black-rimmed glasses, the "Poker Face" singer joined a protest march which took place in Deering Oaks Park, Portland, Maine on Monday, September 20.
"I spent 48 hours trying to find the perfect thing to say," GaGa began her protest. "I do solemnly swear or affirm that I will defend the Constitution of the U.S. ... bear true faith and allegiance... I will obey the order of president of the United States and officers appointed over me... So help me God... Unless there is a gay solider in my unit, sir."
"If you are not honorable enough to fight without prejudice, go home," GaGa further stated, during the rally which was organized by The Service Members Legal Defence Network. "I'm here today because I would like to propose a new law. A law which sends home the solider which has the problem. Our new law is called, 'If you don't like it, go home'."
GaGa went on, "There are amazing heroes here today whose stories are more powerful than any story I could tell, any fight I ever fought or any song I could sell. I'm here because they inspire me. I'm here because I believe in them."
The rally itself was also aimed to put pressure on Republican Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins to vote for a repeal of the policy. Trevor Thomas, spokesman for Service members Legal Defense Network told Associated Press, "We need the support of Collins and Snowe and the best way to get it is to be able to be in their backyard."
Vote for the future of the policy, which was proposed by former President Bill Clinton, is set for Tuesday afternoon, September 21. Thomas mentioned that Democrats need 60 votes to cut off debate and proceed to the bill, again putting Republican Sens.
Lady GaGa's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Protest:
More Lady GaGa News
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease