Reports From TIFF: 'King's Speech' Wins Audience Award, 'Passion Play' Finds Distributor
"The King's Speech" has won audience's hearts at the 35th Annual Toronto International Film Festival. On Sunday, September 19, the movie, which stars Colin Firth as King George VI overcoming his nervous stammer with the help of speech therapist, won Cadillac People's Choice Award for being the most popular film.
Runner-up for the audience prize was the Justin Chadwick-directed "First Grader". Meanwhile, other prizes handed out that night included People's Choice Midnight Madness Award which went to Jim Mickle's vampire Apocalypse flick "Stake Land", Best Canadian Feature title for Denis Villeneuve's "Incendies", FIPRESCI Critics Prize for Shawn Ku's "Beautiful Boy", and International Critics Prize for Special Presentations Award for Pierre Thoretton's French film "L'Amour Fou".
The last day of the annual film festival also witnessed some deal makings. Collider reported that "Passion Play" which has Megan Fox and Mickey Rourke on the cast ensemble has been picked up by Image Entertainment with a seven figure-deal. Moreover, Focus Features has acquired distribution rights to "Beginners", which sees Ewan McGregor starring as a man distracted from his promising new relationship with a girl by memories of his late parents.
The 2010 TIFF was kicked off on September 9. During the festival, several titles have been mentioned as possible Oscar contenders including Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan", Danny Boyle's "127 Hours", John Cameron Mitchell's "Rabbit Hole", Richard J. Lewis' "Barney's Version", Derek Cianfrance's "Blue Valentine" as well as this week's Box Office winner which is Ben Affleck's "The Town".
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked