Michael Jackson's Mother and Three Kids Sue Concert Promoter
On Wednesday, September 15, Michael Jackson's mother and his three children filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the promoter of a concert series the "Thriller" hitmaker was supposed to give in London in 2009, People reported. Katherine Jackson filed the legal papers in Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming concert promoter AEG Live shared the blame for Michael's death during rehearsals.
"AEG had legal duties to Michael Jackson to treat him safely and to not put him in harm's way," the lawsuit read. "But AEG, despite its knowledge of Michael Jackson's physical condition, breached those duties by putting its desire for massive profits from the tour over the health and safety of Michael Jackson."
The civil lawsuit further stated, "Due AEG's actions and inactions, three loving children lost their father, a loving mother and father lost their son, the Jackson siblings lost their brother, and the world lost its most celebrated entertainer." The suit also mentioned that AEG's contract with Michael "created a legal duty for AEG to act reasonably toward the physical well-being of Michael Jackson."
Katherine charged AEG for not giving Michael appropriate medical care during rehearsals and for negligence in allowing Dr. Conrad Murray to care exclusively for her son. Katherine's lawyer, Brian Panish, additionally said in a statement, "The purpose of this lawsuit is to prove to the world the truth about what happened to Michael Jackson, once and for all."
Meanwhile, a spokesman for privately held AEG Live, a subsidiary of the Anschutz Entertainment Group, hasn't seen the lawsuit and therefore he could not comment on the matter. Director Kenny Ortega, who produced Michael's "This Is It" tour, is also named as a defendant in the suit.
More Michael Jackson News
- Drake Announces Short Movie 'Please Forgive Me' - Get a Sneak Peek Here!
- Katy Perry Feels Sympathy for 'Catfish' Victim Who Thought He Was Dating Her
- Video Premiere: Chris Brown's 'Grass Ain't Greener'
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'