Michael Jackson's Mother and Three Kids Sue Concert Promoter
On Wednesday, September 15, Michael Jackson's mother and his three children filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the promoter of a concert series the "Thriller" hitmaker was supposed to give in London in 2009, People reported. Katherine Jackson filed the legal papers in Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming concert promoter AEG Live shared the blame for Michael's death during rehearsals.
"AEG had legal duties to Michael Jackson to treat him safely and to not put him in harm's way," the lawsuit read. "But AEG, despite its knowledge of Michael Jackson's physical condition, breached those duties by putting its desire for massive profits from the tour over the health and safety of Michael Jackson."
The civil lawsuit further stated, "Due AEG's actions and inactions, three loving children lost their father, a loving mother and father lost their son, the Jackson siblings lost their brother, and the world lost its most celebrated entertainer." The suit also mentioned that AEG's contract with Michael "created a legal duty for AEG to act reasonably toward the physical well-being of Michael Jackson."
Katherine charged AEG for not giving Michael appropriate medical care during rehearsals and for negligence in allowing Dr. Conrad Murray to care exclusively for her son. Katherine's lawyer, Brian Panish, additionally said in a statement, "The purpose of this lawsuit is to prove to the world the truth about what happened to Michael Jackson, once and for all."
Meanwhile, a spokesman for privately held AEG Live, a subsidiary of the Anschutz Entertainment Group, hasn't seen the lawsuit and therefore he could not comment on the matter. Director Kenny Ortega, who produced Michael's "This Is It" tour, is also named as a defendant in the suit.
More Michael Jackson News
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series
- Pregnant Alanis Morissette Completely Naked in This Beautiful Underwater Photo
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand