Khan and Klingons Are Possible Villains for 'Star Trek' Sequel
Talks about "Star Trek" sequel are brewing again as the filmmakers were recently interviewed by SFX. While J.J. Abrams won't speak a lot about the details, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have hinted on villains that possibly appear in the movie.
"Starting at a premise of what you want to see and then working a story around it is not how we do it," Kurtzman said, explaining how they will choose the villain. "You have to start with what is the right story. And that if you can say 'That's a story that Khan fits into', that's how you get to that. Not deciding on a menu list of items and then seeing if you can't string them all together."
Orci went on mentioning that Klingons are other characters who could appear as the bad guys in the second movie. "Introducing a new villain in the sequel is tempting because we now have this incredible new sandbox to play in. On the other hand, some fans really want to see Klingons and it's hard not to listen to that. The trick is not to do something that's been seen before just because you think it will be a short cut to likeability," he explained.
Another screenwriter Damon Lindelof opted to talk about more general idea for the forthcoming film, gushing "The bar is very very high for the sequel. We are looking at a movie like 'The Dark Knight' which actually went one step beyond 'Batman Begins'.... We don't want to abandon all the things that made the first movie work - have it be fun and emotional, but we also want the movie to thematically resonate, so we are putting on our highfalutin hats."
The untitled Star Trek sequel is already set for June 29, 2012 U.S. release but J.J. Abrams has not yet signed up to take the director's seat once again. Meanwhile, Simon Pegg and Bruce Greenwood are expected to return as Montgomery Scott and Captain Christopher Pike respectively.
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Ties the Knot with Joana Pak
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Kicked Out of Childbirth Class - Here Is Why!
- 'Luke Cage' Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix
- 'Glee' Star Becca Tobin Marries Zach Martin - Check Out Her Wedding Pics!
- Donald Trump Calls 'SNL' Unwatchable, Alec Baldwin Reacts
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris Welcome Twin Babies
- 'Sense8' Announces Premiere Dates for Christmas Special and Season 2
- Watch: Shawn Mendes Makes His 'SNL' Debut