'Resident Evil: Afterlife' Debuts Atop Box Office, Fifth Film Unofficially Announced
"Resident Evil: Afterlife" comes out unchallenged at North American Box Office, taking the top spot with $26.7 million on its debut weekend. This fourth installment of the sci-fi film series opens with bigger number than 2007 "Resident Evil: Extinction" which had $23.7 million first frame.
"Resident Evil: Afterlife" additionally soars high at worldwide box office with $46.2 million, knocking off "Inception" to the second place, The Hollywood Reporter reports. Following the film's success, Milla Jovovich has talked about the possibility of making the next sequel.
"This new 'Resident Evil' is the first one to ever open at No. 1 worldwide. It's the biggest movie in the franchise," the lead actress tells New York Magazine's Vulture while hosting the Mercedes-Benz Tea Party at Lincoln, the new restaurant at Lincoln Center. "So we're definitely going to make another one."
The depicter of Alice additionally claims she and director husband Paul W.S. Anderson have had some ideas for the follow-up to "Resident Evil: Afterlife". "We've been talking to a lot of fans on Twitter and stuff, so it's probably going to be one of the first movies where we really talk to fans to see what they want, and what characters they want to see. It's going to be a more interactive process," she reveals.
Back to this week's domestic chart, "Takers" moves up from the third place to the second with an additional $5.7 million cume. "The American", which ruled the chart during Labor Day Weekend, now replaces "Takers" on number three with $5.7 million gross.
"Machete" also drops two places from the second to the fourth with $4.3 million revenue on its second weekend. "Going the Distance" which debuted on the fifth place last week still holds the same spot with $3.8 million cume.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for September 10-12:
- "Resident Evil: Afterlife" - $26.7 million
- "Takers" - $5.7 million
- "The American" - $5.7 million
- "Machete" - $4.3 million
- "Going the Distance" - $3.8 million
- "The Other Guys" - $3.3 million
- "The Last Exorcism" - $3.3 million
- "The Expendables" - $3.2 million
- "Eat, Pray, Love" - $3 million
- "Inception" - $2.8 million
- Tom Hiddleston in 'Advance Talks' to Star in 'Bond 25'
- Beyonce Steps Out With Jay-Z Wearing Bright Yellow Pants and Tiny Lemon Sticker on Her Phone
- Johnny Depp's Lawyer Reacts to Amber Heard's Domestic Abuse Claims
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November