'Resident Evil: Afterlife' Debuts Atop Box Office, Fifth Film Unofficially Announced
"Resident Evil: Afterlife" comes out unchallenged at North American Box Office, taking the top spot with $26.7 million on its debut weekend. This fourth installment of the sci-fi film series opens with bigger number than 2007 "Resident Evil: Extinction" which had $23.7 million first frame.
"Resident Evil: Afterlife" additionally soars high at worldwide box office with $46.2 million, knocking off "Inception" to the second place, The Hollywood Reporter reports. Following the film's success, Milla Jovovich has talked about the possibility of making the next sequel.
"This new 'Resident Evil' is the first one to ever open at No. 1 worldwide. It's the biggest movie in the franchise," the lead actress tells New York Magazine's Vulture while hosting the Mercedes-Benz Tea Party at Lincoln, the new restaurant at Lincoln Center. "So we're definitely going to make another one."
The depicter of Alice additionally claims she and director husband Paul W.S. Anderson have had some ideas for the follow-up to "Resident Evil: Afterlife". "We've been talking to a lot of fans on Twitter and stuff, so it's probably going to be one of the first movies where we really talk to fans to see what they want, and what characters they want to see. It's going to be a more interactive process," she reveals.
Back to this week's domestic chart, "Takers" moves up from the third place to the second with an additional $5.7 million cume. "The American", which ruled the chart during Labor Day Weekend, now replaces "Takers" on number three with $5.7 million gross.
"Machete" also drops two places from the second to the fourth with $4.3 million revenue on its second weekend. "Going the Distance" which debuted on the fifth place last week still holds the same spot with $3.8 million cume.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for September 10-12:
- "Resident Evil: Afterlife" - $26.7 million
- "Takers" - $5.7 million
- "The American" - $5.7 million
- "Machete" - $4.3 million
- "Going the Distance" - $3.8 million
- "The Other Guys" - $3.3 million
- "The Last Exorcism" - $3.3 million
- "The Expendables" - $3.2 million
- "Eat, Pray, Love" - $3 million
- "Inception" - $2.8 million
- Tiger Woods Busted for DUI in Florida
- Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara Hold Hands at Cannes Amid Romance Rumors
- Kourtney Kardashian Cuddles Up to Son Reign in Skimpy Bikini
- Bella Hadid Parades Her Hot Bod in Skimpy Bikini in Monaco
- 'Womanizer' Scott Disick Cozies Up to 6th Woman in Monaco
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Nude on the Set of New Thriller 'Welcome Home'
- Rihanna Sparks Pregnancy Speculations
- Suzy Hints That She's Missing Boyfriend Lee Min Ho in New Instagram Pic