Comedian Robert Schimmel Died Following Car Accident
Comedian Robert Schimmel died in a Phoenix hospital on Friday night, September 3 after fatally injured in a car accident, his public relations firm confirmed on Saturday, as ABC News reported. Schimmel died at the age of 60.
The incident which caused Schimmel's death happened on Thursday, August 26. The site reported that Schimmel was a passenger in his 19-year-old daughter's car when the vehicle swerved to avoid another accident on a Phoenix highway. His daughter was hospitalized but is expected to recover, while Schimmel's 11-year-old son, who was also in the car, was uninjured.
Schimmel was best known as frequent contributor on Howard Stern's radio show and had appeared on several HBO programs including his own special, "Unprotected". He was also a frequent guest on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien". He liked to make audience laugh with X-rated explorations of sexuality and vulnerability usually drawn from his own life.
In 1998, Schimmel had a heart attack and in 2000, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, from which he recovered. Schimmel's manager, Lee Kernis of Brillstein Entertainment Partners, said as quoted by The New York Times, "Robert was always the butt of his own joke. When he would talk about the failings of his marriages, his relationships or having kids, he always made the joke about his inability to ever win at the end."
Some of Schimmel's pals have paid their tributes to the late comedian. Jimmy Kimmel wrote on his Twitter page, "I'm so sad about Robert Schimmel dying. I've been checking the news for 3 hours hoping it wasn't true. He was very funny and wonderful." Sarah Silverman tweeted, " 'I'm happy to say I licked the big C. And I beat cancer' - Robert Schimmel RIP."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie