2010 Emmys: George Clooney Brings Comedy to Bob Hope Humanitarian Acceptance Speech
The 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards has honored George Clooney with the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award for "determined commitment and efforts to increase awareness of human rights issues and spark constructive response to international crises," according to an official press release. And instead of making a serious speech, the actor accepted the honor with a humor.
"I have offered to go to south Sudan and have a wardrobe malfunction. But it was pointed out to me that I'm 49, and the consensus was that it would just be upsetting. And kind of sad," Clooney cracked as quoted by the The Huffington Post. "When the disaster happens, everybody wants to help, everybody in this room wants to help, everybody at home wants to help."
"The hard part is seven months later, five years later, when we're on to a new story. Honestly, we fail at that, most of the time. That's the facts. I fail at that," Clooney added. "So here's hoping that some very bright person right here in the room or at home watching can help find a way to keep the spotlight burning on these heartbreaking situations that continue to be heartbreaking long after the cameras go away. That would be an impressive accomplishment. Thank you."
George Clooney has organized a telethon for victims of the Haitian earthquake and founded a charity for the Darfur genocide along with Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Don Cheadle and Jerry Weintraub. The "Ocean's Twelve" actor is the fourth recipient of the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award with past winners being Oprah Winfrey, Bill Cosby and Danny Thomas.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival