'Britain's Got Talent' Admits to Using Auto-Tune
Simon Cowell is again in the middle of hot water after it was revealed that his show "Britain's Got Talent" has used Auto-Tune to enhance the voice quality of singers. Talkback Thames which co-produces the show with Syco has admitted to the use of the technology so that auditions will sound better.
In an e-mail directed to Deadline, the production house said, "In line with standard television practice, sound filtering technology has been used on 'Britain's Got Talent' on our pre-recorded shows, but this does not unfairly reflect any singer's performance. The performance shown on screen is a fair reflection of performance given in the live theater." They added, "Judges make their decision based on that live performance."
The words about using Auto-Tune were disputed by the producers of the show who claimed Cowell, Piers Morgan and Amanda Holden hear the performers' raw version while audience at home receive the enhanced version.
"Britain's Got Talent" wrapped up the fourth series earlier this year with the victory of gymnastic troupe Spellbound. In its four series history, there was only one singer who eventually won the competition, pop opera tenor Paul Potts from the first series. However, Talkback Thames won't confirm whether Auto-Tune was also applied to Potts and the show's most famous graduate Susan Boyle.
Nevertheless, Auto-Tune is not the only problem that "BGT" faces. Audience also complained of unfair judgments, saying contestants with interesting backstories would advance despite the vocal ability.
More Britain's Got Talent News
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?