Bez Begins Serving One-Month Jail Sentence After Refusing to Do Community Order
Former Happy Mondays star Bez was locked up in jail on Wednesday, August 25 over his attempt to strangle his ex-fiancee Monica Ward. The "Celebrity Big Brother" winner has now begun his jail sentence for four weeks at Manchester Magistrates court, Daily Mail reported.
Bez was initially given a 12-month community order at Manchester Magistrates court and asked to pay 450 pound sterling in costs. However, he refused to do the work and protested his innocence. "I'm not doing it. Bothered. I'm going to appeal and take this to a real court," he said as quoted by the site.
Bez, who represented himself, was said shouting, "Expect an appeal very soon. Victory is in my grasp", as he was handcuffed and led to the cells. In addition to the prison time, Bez was handed a restraining order which prevents him from making any contact with Monica for two years.
Moreover, Bez reportedly told one solicitor, who was in the courtroom for another case, to make a bail application on his behalf. Though so, Peter Etherall from Howards Solicitors mentioned that the judge refused to grant him his initial sentence, the community service sentence. As Bez was taken back to the cell, he said, "I can't wait to win this next fixture."
The assault itself happened when Bez and Monica had an argument at their flat in Whalley Range, Manchester on May 24. Bez tried to strangle Monica in front of their two-year-old son Leo after accusing her of stealing money from Leo's trust fund.
Bez allegedly dragged her across their flat and pinned her against a door. Meanwhile, Monica told magistrates that Bez was "looking insane" as he put both hands around her neck. She said, "He told me he was going to kill me before the police arrived."
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant