'Toy Story 3' Replaces 'Shrek 2' as Highest Grossing Animation of All Time
Two months after it was premiered in the U.S., "Toy Story 3" has made another headline. As of Friday, August 13, the film has grossed more than $920 million at box offices worldwide since opening June 18, Disney announced. Accordingly, this third "Toy Story" film becomes the new highest-grossing animated movie of all time, surpassing previous record holder "Shrek 2" which pulled in $919 million globally in 2004.
The latest installment of the Pixar animation also holds the title of Disney's fourth-most successful film in the company's history. The studio's current top three grossers are "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" (2006) at $1.07 billion, "Alice in Wonderland" (2010) at $1.02 billion, and "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" (2007) at $961 million.
"The success of Toy Story is due to the tremendously creative and innovative team at Pixar, led by John Lasseter and Ed Catmull, and our incredible marketing and distribution teams around the world," Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement. "In 'Toy Story 3', director Lee Unkrich, producer Darla Anderson and the incredible team at Pixar have given audiences a film that continued the rich storytelling and character building that have become synonymous with every Pixar release."
The first "Toy Story" film was made in 1995, introducing its beloved characters such as Woody, Buzz Lightyear and Rex. A sequel was later made as follow-up in 1999. "Toy Story 3", which was rumored to be the last from the franchise, will be released in DVD on November 2.
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart