Prosecutors: Doctors Funneled 'Powerful Addictive Medications' to Anna Nicole Smith
In a trial over the death of Anna Nicole Smith, prosecutors claimed that the star's two doctors Dr. Sandeep Kapoor and Dr. Khristine Eroshevich used multiple fake names to funnel "powerful addictive medications" to her, ABC News reported. The claim came during opening statements in the Los Angeles trial on Wednesday, August 4.
Prosecutors also alleged that Smith's lawyer-boyfriend, Howard K. Stern, had helped keep the model over-medicated, calling various doctors to obtain painkillers and other drugs, and sometimes administering them. However, Stern, Kapoor and Eroshevich are not charged with causing Smith's death, but are charged with unlawfully prescribing and giving controlled substances to an addict for three years.
All three have pleaded not guilty to conspiracy. Stern, and doctors Kapoor and Eroshevich could face more than five years in prison if convicted. One prosecutor, named Renee Rose, showed jurors pictures of prescriptions for hundreds of pills, including the powerful drugs methadone and Dilaudid. Rose further claimed that with Stern's connivance, doctors filled prescriptions for Smith under several names.
Rose also revealed that Eroshevich flew to the Bahamas on several occasions to deliver muscle relaxants, anti-anxiety, sleep aids and anti-depressants. But a lawyer for Eroshevich defended, saying that Eroshevich was "not a pill-mill" and that the prescriptions she wrote were not illegal. Meanwhile, Kapoor's lawyer Ellyn Garafalo said, "Criminalizing a doctor's efforts to help a difficult patient is problematic. A doctor's even poor judgment is not criminal. Good faith is involved."
According to the site, Stern, Kapoor and Eroshevich were charged after a criminal investigation ordered by California Attorney General Jerry Brown. The trial of Anna Nicole Smith's partner Stern and the two doctors is expected to last up to three months.
- Jake Gyllenhaal Helps Amy Schumer Spoof 'Catfish' and the Victim Becomes Obscure
- Lionsgate Is Planning to Make Seven More 'Power Rangers' Movies
- Kylie Jenner and PARTYNEXTDOOR Go Bowling Together
- Troy Ave's Arrested After Video of Him Firing Gun at T.I.'s Concert Surfaces
- Gucci Mane Records New Mixtape Just Hours After Released From Prison
- New Trailer for Cameron Crowe's 'Roadies' Promises Nudity and a Lot of Drama
- Here's What Chris Evans Says of Captain America's Hydra Plot Twist
- Blac Chyna's Baby Bump Is Growing! Model Bares Belly in Black Sports Bra