Prosecutors: Doctors Funneled 'Powerful Addictive Medications' to Anna Nicole Smith
In a trial over the death of Anna Nicole Smith, prosecutors claimed that the star's two doctors Dr. Sandeep Kapoor and Dr. Khristine Eroshevich used multiple fake names to funnel "powerful addictive medications" to her, ABC News reported. The claim came during opening statements in the Los Angeles trial on Wednesday, August 4.
Prosecutors also alleged that Smith's lawyer-boyfriend, Howard K. Stern, had helped keep the model over-medicated, calling various doctors to obtain painkillers and other drugs, and sometimes administering them. However, Stern, Kapoor and Eroshevich are not charged with causing Smith's death, but are charged with unlawfully prescribing and giving controlled substances to an addict for three years.
All three have pleaded not guilty to conspiracy. Stern, and doctors Kapoor and Eroshevich could face more than five years in prison if convicted. One prosecutor, named Renee Rose, showed jurors pictures of prescriptions for hundreds of pills, including the powerful drugs methadone and Dilaudid. Rose further claimed that with Stern's connivance, doctors filled prescriptions for Smith under several names.
Rose also revealed that Eroshevich flew to the Bahamas on several occasions to deliver muscle relaxants, anti-anxiety, sleep aids and anti-depressants. But a lawyer for Eroshevich defended, saying that Eroshevich was "not a pill-mill" and that the prescriptions she wrote were not illegal. Meanwhile, Kapoor's lawyer Ellyn Garafalo said, "Criminalizing a doctor's efforts to help a difficult patient is problematic. A doctor's even poor judgment is not criminal. Good faith is involved."
According to the site, Stern, Kapoor and Eroshevich were charged after a criminal investigation ordered by California Attorney General Jerry Brown. The trial of Anna Nicole Smith's partner Stern and the two doctors is expected to last up to three months.
- Bella Hadid and Justin Bieber Accuse Selena Gomez of Using The Weeknd for Promotion
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video