Prosecutors: Doctors Funneled 'Powerful Addictive Medications' to Anna Nicole Smith
In a trial over the death of Anna Nicole Smith, prosecutors claimed that the star's two doctors Dr. Sandeep Kapoor and Dr. Khristine Eroshevich used multiple fake names to funnel "powerful addictive medications" to her, ABC News reported. The claim came during opening statements in the Los Angeles trial on Wednesday, August 4.
Prosecutors also alleged that Smith's lawyer-boyfriend, Howard K. Stern, had helped keep the model over-medicated, calling various doctors to obtain painkillers and other drugs, and sometimes administering them. However, Stern, Kapoor and Eroshevich are not charged with causing Smith's death, but are charged with unlawfully prescribing and giving controlled substances to an addict for three years.
All three have pleaded not guilty to conspiracy. Stern, and doctors Kapoor and Eroshevich could face more than five years in prison if convicted. One prosecutor, named Renee Rose, showed jurors pictures of prescriptions for hundreds of pills, including the powerful drugs methadone and Dilaudid. Rose further claimed that with Stern's connivance, doctors filled prescriptions for Smith under several names.
Rose also revealed that Eroshevich flew to the Bahamas on several occasions to deliver muscle relaxants, anti-anxiety, sleep aids and anti-depressants. But a lawyer for Eroshevich defended, saying that Eroshevich was "not a pill-mill" and that the prescriptions she wrote were not illegal. Meanwhile, Kapoor's lawyer Ellyn Garafalo said, "Criminalizing a doctor's efforts to help a difficult patient is problematic. A doctor's even poor judgment is not criminal. Good faith is involved."
According to the site, Stern, Kapoor and Eroshevich were charged after a criminal investigation ordered by California Attorney General Jerry Brown. The trial of Anna Nicole Smith's partner Stern and the two doctors is expected to last up to three months.
- Dakota Fanning's Parents Are Divorcing After 27 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Jonas Welcomes His Second Child With Wife Danielle
- Mariah Carey's Rep Reveals Lovers' Quarrel in Greece Leads to Her Split From James Packer
- 'Will and Grace' Revival in the Works
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back On After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone Leaving 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off