2010 TCA: 'Dexter' Theme Revealed, 'Smallville' Replacement Discussed
Comic Con is not the only platform that "Dexter" made use of to explain the aftermath of shocking season 4 ending. At the Showtime press conference for Television Critics Association tour, the producers explained the theme of season 5 and how this would be different from the last four seasons in terms of the villains.
"This season is about atonement and illuminated and dramatized over the course of the year," said executive producer John Goldwyn. His working partner Sara Colleton added, "The form Dexter takes to achieve atonement, is not in a form that is conventional in any means."
Regarding the villain, Colleton said, "We're taking a break this year from what has been in how we've plotted out seasons in the past few years. There won't be a season long adversary for Dexter. As he's going through different stages of his grief really, without knowing what he's feeling, that it takes him through different stages and there will be different characters who will come in and interact. The through-line is Dexter's atonement and different people help him along the way in different capacities."
"Dexter" returns September 26 on Showtime.
The CW happened to hold its presentation on the same day (Thursday, July 29). One interesting fact that the network share was, the search for a new superhero series which will replace "Smallville". CW Entertainment President Dawn Ostroff said, "We have started to talk about if there are other DC comic book adaptations. We haven't picked anything else up to develop yet, so we would like to see something on the air, so we're going to work on it."
She added that the possibility is endless, be it a new DC Comics character or a "Smallville" spin-off. "We are talking about everything," Ostroff said. "The characters are there. We're looking at the DC library. There are different parts of the puzzle. At the end of the day, I would love to be able to say now that 'Smallville' is going off the air and now we have something else is coming on."
The tenth and final season of "Smallville" airs September 24 on The CW.
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber
- Chanel Iman Stars in Flo Rida's Flashy Video for 'Zillionaire'