Video Premiere: Nicki Minaj's 'Your Love'
Nicki Minaj is a samurai trainee who falls for her sensei in a music video for "Your Love", her latest single from upcoming debut album. In order to be with the teacher played by Michael Jai White, she is facing fellow student in her martial arts class who also has a crush on him.
"We wanted to have geisha themes, samurai themes, stuff like that," Minaj previously told MTV about the concept. "I wanted to tell a love story. It's just kinda liking a guy, where he's not really for you to like - the forbidden fruit - and me and this other girl happen to like him and we go to war."
Met during the video shoot, Nicki Minaj admitted she was surprised when learning that "Your Love" climbed to No. 1 on Rap Songs chart. It makes her the first female rapper to top the list since Lil' Kim reigned the chart in 2003 with "Magic Stick" which features 50 Cent.
"I was not planning on putting the song out at all," she confessed. "But then I heard it one day, somebody told me it was online. And I was like, 'No way, no way in the world that song is out.' I went and listened to it and was really upset. It wasn't mixed, it wasn't finished, it wasn't anything - I wasn't gonna use it at all. But then radio started playing it."
Nicki Minaj's "Your Love" music video
More Nicki Minaj News
- Kristin Cavallari Will Not Watch 'The Hills' Re-Runs Because It's 'Brutal'
- Kirsten Storms Breaks Silence on Her Temporary 'General Hospital' Leave
- Jesse Eisenberg Confirms He Will Return for 'Justice League'
- Sam Mendes Confirms He Won't Direct the Next James Bond Movie
- Keira Knightley's Acting in 'Begin Again' Gets Criticized by Director
- Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Take Her Birthday Son to Indianapolis 500
- Ariana Grande Cancels Rock in Rio Performance Due to Throat and Sinus Infection
- Johnny Depp's Ex Vanessa Paradis and Daughter Lily-Rose Defend Him Amid Amber Heard Drama