DirectTV Takes the Risk of Reviving 'Damages'
Fans of FX network can rejoice at the thought of "Damages" being saved from death. DirecTV has ordered two seasons of 10 episodes each and they will go into production early next year for a Summer 2012 premiere. The first three seasons meanwhile, will be re-airing starting next summer.
After three seasons and several Emmys, FX decided not to renew the show because the rating has been a challenge for the network. Last season the show averaged about 1.4 million viewers while the production of an episode alone could cost around $2 million. The equation came to a result which is not profitable for FX which actually has bigger subscribers than Direct TV's 101 Network. A source close to the show tipped Glenn Close and some of the cast are not taking pay cuts under the new deal.
But the new home is not worried about taking the chance. "We're very comfortable with this," said Executive Vice President Derek Chang. "There are other ways we justify doing things like this. It's really about extending and investing in a product you feel good about bringing your customers."
Patty Ishimoto, vice president of entertainment for DirecTV, said "it's a win" for their customers. Jamie Erlicht, president of programming and production for show producer Sony Pictures Television, added, " 'Damages' is simply one of the best shows on television, and we're grateful to DirecTV for the opportunity to produce more episodes of this groundbreaking show."
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video
- Harambe the Gorilla Shooting Sparks Outrage Among Hollywood Stars
- Brooklyn Beckham Flaunting His Abs in This Shirtless Selfie Will Make You Drool
- 'Game of Thrones': George R. R. Martin Reveals Brienne's Backstory