DirectTV Takes the Risk of Reviving 'Damages'
Fans of FX network can rejoice at the thought of "Damages" being saved from death. DirecTV has ordered two seasons of 10 episodes each and they will go into production early next year for a Summer 2012 premiere. The first three seasons meanwhile, will be re-airing starting next summer.
After three seasons and several Emmys, FX decided not to renew the show because the rating has been a challenge for the network. Last season the show averaged about 1.4 million viewers while the production of an episode alone could cost around $2 million. The equation came to a result which is not profitable for FX which actually has bigger subscribers than Direct TV's 101 Network. A source close to the show tipped Glenn Close and some of the cast are not taking pay cuts under the new deal.
But the new home is not worried about taking the chance. "We're very comfortable with this," said Executive Vice President Derek Chang. "There are other ways we justify doing things like this. It's really about extending and investing in a product you feel good about bringing your customers."
Patty Ishimoto, vice president of entertainment for DirecTV, said "it's a win" for their customers. Jamie Erlicht, president of programming and production for show producer Sony Pictures Television, added, " 'Damages' is simply one of the best shows on television, and we're grateful to DirecTV for the opportunity to produce more episodes of this groundbreaking show."
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos