Sarah Palin Reacts to Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston's Surprise Engagement
Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin has released a statement on her daughter Bristol Palin's shocking engagement announcement with her ex-fiance Levi Johnston. Although Levi had publicly told lies about the Palins and the two parties engaged in a custody battle, the Palins hope the best for their daughter Bristol.
"Bristol at 19 is now a young adult. We obviously want what's best for our children," the Palins said through a statement to NBC News. "Bristol believes in redemption and forgiveness to a degree most of us struggle to put in practice in our daily lives."
Bristol and Levi revealed about the surprise engagement during an interview for Us Weekly's new issue and stated that Sarah hadn't learned yet about the news when the chat was conducted. Bristol told the mag, "We got engaged two weeks ago. It felt right, even though we don't have the approval of our parents," adding "It is intimidating and scary just to think about what her reaction is going to be. Hopefully she will jump on board."
The reconciliation happened three months ago while Bristol and Levi were working out a custody plan for their 18-month-old son, Tripp. Levi claimed, "I really thought we were over. So when I went, I had no hope. I think we both just started talking - and then we took Tripp for a walk." Bristol continued, "When he left that night, we didn't hug or kiss, but I was thinking how different it was. He texted me: 'I miss you. I love you. I want to be with you again'... I was in shock."
Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston called off their first engagement two weeks after welcoming Tripp in December 2008. Post their split, the two parties were involved in a war of words in the media. In fall 2009, Levi accused Sarah of calling her son Trig, who has Down syndrome, "retarded".
Sarah countered by dubbing Levi "Ricky Hollywood" and calling his "aspiring porn" career "heartbreaking", referencing his Playgirl part. However, in early July, Levi has issued a public apology to the Palins for saying "not completely true" things about them in the past.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March