Artist of the Week: M.I.A.
M.I.A. is a visual-artist, musician, revolutionary and style icon. A multi-talented artist who knows no creative boundaries, she pushes the envelope with controversial sounds, lyrics and imagery in her new album "/\/\/\Y/\", making it not for the faint-hearted.
An outspoken musician, M.I.A. is not afraid of making a statement. In one of the songs, the Grammy-nominated singer announces, "I fight the ones that fight me." When introducing the album with a buzz song "Born Free", she also sets the tongues wagging with a bloody violent music video which is apparently inspired by her Third War upbringing in Sri Lanka.
However, not all of M.I.A.'s contents in the album which is set for July 13 U.S. release are about controversies. From addressing politics and war, she also explores her "cheesey pop side" in a radio-friendly single "XXXO". It seems that the song is aimed to balance the unusual sounds which fill most of the materials in this effort.
M.I.A. is going to celebrate the album release with a live performance on "Late Show with David Letterman". She additionally has several concerts listed on her schedule with some of them set to be held across the pond. More info about her upcoming shows can be found on her MySpace.
- 'Saturday Night Live' Taps Kristen Stewart as the Next Host
- Armie Hammer Responds to 'Green Lantern Corps' Rumor
- Big Sean Performs 'Bounce Back', Premieres 'Sunday Morning Jetpack' on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Louis Tomlinson Reunites With Briana Jungwirth to Celebrate Their Son's 1st Birthday
- Luke Bryan to Sing National Anthem at Super Bowl
- 'Veronica Mars' Boss Hints at Potential Revival
- Artist of the Week: Kehlani
- Ivanka Trump's Brother-In-Law Joshua Kushner Joined Women's March on Washington