Artist of the Week: M.I.A.
M.I.A. is a visual-artist, musician, revolutionary and style icon. A multi-talented artist who knows no creative boundaries, she pushes the envelope with controversial sounds, lyrics and imagery in her new album "/\/\/\Y/\", making it not for the faint-hearted.
An outspoken musician, M.I.A. is not afraid of making a statement. In one of the songs, the Grammy-nominated singer announces, "I fight the ones that fight me." When introducing the album with a buzz song "Born Free", she also sets the tongues wagging with a bloody violent music video which is apparently inspired by her Third War upbringing in Sri Lanka.
However, not all of M.I.A.'s contents in the album which is set for July 13 U.S. release are about controversies. From addressing politics and war, she also explores her "cheesey pop side" in a radio-friendly single "XXXO". It seems that the song is aimed to balance the unusual sounds which fill most of the materials in this effort.
M.I.A. is going to celebrate the album release with a live performance on "Late Show with David Letterman". She additionally has several concerts listed on her schedule with some of them set to be held across the pond. More info about her upcoming shows can be found on her MySpace.
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes