Artist of the Week: M.I.A.
M.I.A. is a visual-artist, musician, revolutionary and style icon. A multi-talented artist who knows no creative boundaries, she pushes the envelope with controversial sounds, lyrics and imagery in her new album "/\/\/\Y/\", making it not for the faint-hearted.
An outspoken musician, M.I.A. is not afraid of making a statement. In one of the songs, the Grammy-nominated singer announces, "I fight the ones that fight me." When introducing the album with a buzz song "Born Free", she also sets the tongues wagging with a bloody violent music video which is apparently inspired by her Third War upbringing in Sri Lanka.
However, not all of M.I.A.'s contents in the album which is set for July 13 U.S. release are about controversies. From addressing politics and war, she also explores her "cheesey pop side" in a radio-friendly single "XXXO". It seems that the song is aimed to balance the unusual sounds which fill most of the materials in this effort.
M.I.A. is going to celebrate the album release with a live performance on "Late Show with David Letterman". She additionally has several concerts listed on her schedule with some of them set to be held across the pond. More info about her upcoming shows can be found on her MySpace.
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip